suite1

WIFI Extender Issues with Hitron

Discussion created by suite1 on Jan 10, 2018
Latest reply on Sep 6, 2018 by mjducharme

Hello everyone.  I've been trying to troubleshoot an issue I've had since December to no avail.  I've had a wifi extender in my house (D-Link DAP-1720) for almost two years, and it was working flawlessly up until last month.  It seems as though the extender will no longer connect to our Hitron unit.  This led me to wonder if our extender had just died, so I purchased the exact same one, and could not get it to connect to the Hitron using both the WPS and SSID method.  

A couple of days ago, I purchased another extender (a TP-Link RE-450) thinking that it could have been an issue with the D-Link model, and could not get it to connect to the Hitron as well.  After a call with Shaw support, they offered to swap our Hitron modem out with a new one - and that one will not connect to either extenders (TP-Link and D-Link).

In addition, after searching for some solutions online, I discovered that other people had been having the same issue, and that it could possibly be related to a firmware update Shaw released on December 4th to the Hitron modems; which is right around the time my issue cropped up. 

Thus, after many back and forth calls with Shaw, D-Link, and TP-Link, nobody could figure out what the issue was, and I'm really at my witts end with this issue.  Is there anything else I should be trying?

Outcomes