stevenwong

Edmonton connection getting routed to Chicago

Discussion created by stevenwong on Mar 13, 2018
Latest reply on May 4, 2018 by xtess3ractx

Started another thread not too long ago, didn't get any responses, figured I'd try again with more details.

I play some online games where I have to connect to the Western servers for more responsive gameplay.  Those connections are based on where those games think I'm located.  And apparently they think I'm located on the Eastern part of the continent, because I'm being forcibly connected to their Eastern servers, which results in some nasty latency issues.

Ran a few trace routes, and it seems like my connection is being routed to Chicago.  But I didn't stop there.  I connected to a VPN and presented a Western IP and an Eastern IP, ran trace routes for both scenarios.  Interestingly enough, when I present a Western IP, I do get routed through Seattle, but the ping is actually higher (a lot higher - over 100 MS vs. 50-60 MS through the Chicago route).  When I present an Eastern IP, I get routed to some Eastern servers with about 60-80 MS ping.

Why is my connection being routed to Chicago?  Why is the Chicago route actually presenting a lower ping than the Seattle route, given where I live in Edmonton?

And is anyone looking into this to try to optimize the routing for us Alberta residents?

Outcomes