AnsweredAssumed Answered

Blocking Spoofed Numbers

Question asked by hrstklzw on May 12, 2018
Latest reply on Aug 13, 2018 by jcoprasm

I have a land line which I am considering cancelling. Most calls I receive now are nuisance calls, and it's really irritating. I am on the do not call list, which has helped some. Most of the nuisance calls I receive now are spoofed numbers which are of unknown origin. We have received calls from "Canada Revenue Agency", "Windows Help Desk" and other assorted idiots.

My question is: Why can't Shaw either block invalid numbers or provide me with the ability to do so? My $50 telephone answering machine has the ability to detect invalid phone numbers, but I would rather have them blocked completely.The call blocking feature is not useful as it will only block repeat calls. In the case of spoofed numbers, the number could be different every time even if it's from the same caller.

I understand that spoofing is sometimes necessary in the case of Women's shelters, etc., which is why it would need to be optional. I have no need to communicate with anyone calling from a spoofed number though. - Thx.

Outcomes