Additional Options for Wireless TV Wiewing

rickatk
Master

Quite enjoying the BlueSky platform, but off course never satisfied!

I wondering if Shaw is planning a wireless option for the BlueSky terminals? Putting in a cable jack, say in the kitchen, is not always possible. 

Alternativley adding Free Range TV to the tvOS App Store would be a great addition for live tv in Canada. At least then  we could access BlueSky TV wirelessly via Free Range on Apple TV.

I presently view FreeRange TV on an iPad Pro 10.5. This method works fine but being able to view the TV offerings on a TV in the kitchen would be much better says my wife! Buying a 13in iPad Pro to run Free Range is a pricy option.

As an aside I can’t help but think that there is more to Free Range aviailability than technical limitations. Perhaps this feature is being throttled back for fear of live tv being offered over IPTV devices such as Apple TV, cannibalizing Shaw’s core business. Live TV on Apple TV is flourishing in the US, not so in Canada. There are many TV offerings now on iOS with the “go apps” and  Free Range. I understand even the “go apps” have found their way on to the tvOS store. But no FreeRange app.  

Hopefully soon.

update: Picked up a nice 24in TV on the weekend from BestBuy and placed it in the kitchen along with an Apple TV. The Apple TV  (Gen 4) is great because I can download a variety of apps from the App Store. Plenty of good viewing with a variety of choices including Global (including live tv), City, CBC and a number of news apps. A bonus app - Apple Music is aviaible - nice!  Oddly CBC is seeking to charge a premium for News Network. Bad form CBC! 

The big miss of course is Free Range - bummer. I fail to see why Shaw doesn’t offer Free Range as a TV app. Customers still have to have Blue Sky to access FreeRange on the various platforms,  so I wonder what’s the problem with offering Free Range on tvOS?

All in all this setup has been a great solution to the problem of not getting cable into my kitchen. Using an iPad was fine but the fixed tv coupled with Apple TV is an improvement. Certainly in this type of application using  Apple ATV prevails over BlueSky at least in my kitchen.

Hopefully Shaw will get on the wirelss bandwagon with its BlueSky terminals or at least put Free Range on the tvOS store. 

Labels (1)
TALK TO US
We're here to help