How do I "forget" or turn off "auto-join" for the Passpoint SSID?

cderksen
Grasshopper

I have used ShawOpen wifi for years, but it is much more complicated now that the ShawPasspoint profile is installed on my smartphone (iPhone 7, iOS 11.4). Although my phone can connect to ShawPasspoint, it doesn't work (it will not allow incoming/outgoing data) while also blocking my mobile data connection. However, ShawOpen continues to work for me (although it is flaky and slow). As a result, I'd like to use ShawOpen while blocking ShawPasspoint. Is this possible?

It seems that "ShawOpen" is one SSID, and I can keep "Auto-Join" turned off and only turn it on when I need to connect to a hotspot. This is perfect and exactly what I'd like to happen. However, despite setting ShawOpen to NOT auto-join, my phone keeps automatically joining ShawPasspoint hotspots instead. If I turn off Auto-Join for a Passpoint hotspot, my phone simply rejoins the next Passpoint hotspot it finds (unlike ShawOpen, where all hotspots can be forgotten once). The inability to prevent connecting to Passpoint means that I often lose connections when my phone switches from my mobile network to Passpoint and back.

Is it possible to "forget" ALL Passpoint hotspots? Or turn off Auto-Join for ALL Passport hotspots? Is there a way to uninstall the Passpoint profile on my phone and only connect to ShawOpen?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
7 Replies

Re: How do I "forget" or turn off "auto-join" for the Passpoint SSID?

shaw-tony

Hey cderksen,

Thank you for reaching out! I am sorry for the delay in response and frustrations. The forums aren't monitored as closely as our other support channels. You can certainly delete the ShawPasspoint profile by going into your "Settings" > "General" > "Profile" then delete the ShawPasspoint profile. This should only let you connect to the Shaw Open networks only. Let me know how it goes!

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

Hello, I am having this same problem. I need to be able t...

johnjoeschem
Grasshopper

Hello, I am having this same problem. I need to be able to stop my phone from connecting to any shaw passpoint or shawmobilehotspot. The above solution does not work on my new iPhone 14 running iOS 16. I just want to delete the ShawPasspoint profile, but under SETTINGS then GENERAL, there's no option called PROFILE

0 Kudos

Settings/General/VPN and Device Management

rstra
Grand Master

@johnjoeschem   Settings/General/VPN and Device Management 

0 Kudos

they are the only options I have under ‘VPN and Device Ma...

johnjoeschem
Grasshopper

CAC3B381-C1B7-47FC-BE23-FAD12A0952EC.png

they are the only options I have under ‘VPN and Device Management’ . When I click on VPN (not connected) it just asks me to set up a VPN. Nothing about the Shaw Passpoint is there

0 Kudos

You don’t have the certificate installed. Next time you a...

rstra
Grand Master

@johnjoeschem   You don’t have the certificate installed. Next time you are near the Shaw Passpoint, you can forget the network in your wifi settings. 

0 Kudos

I am having exactly same problem and I have spoken to app...

minuwo
Grasshopper

I am having exactly same problem and I have spoken to apple support. Their advice is that perform a factory reset to the iphone.

0 Kudos

-- Their advice is perform a factory reset to the iPhone....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@minuwo -- Their advice is perform a factory reset to the iPhone.

That seems to be the standard advice offered by "Dogbert Technical Support", which is not helpful at all, for two reasons:

1. If you do not have a backup of your iPhone, you will lose everything (apps, files, settings).

2. if you do have a backup, and "restore" your iPhone from that backup, after doing the "factory reset", the issue will be reinstated.

Ignore that ignorant person's suggestion.

The comment by @rstra (2022-09-24) is a much-better suggestion.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help