MSNBC in HD??

yvrwfc
Grasshopper

MSNBC - HD?

I have been a long time subscriber of Shaw TV/Internet. 

Apparently TELUS has been offering MSNBC channel in HD but Shaw is still in SD!

Would Shaw do anything about it? CNN, CBC, and many other 24/7 news networks are in HD. 

william

Labels (1)
9 Replies

Re: MSNBC in HD??

thejets
Grasshopper

best way to get more hd is move to another provider shaw lives in the stone ages 

Not applicable

Shaw's satellite is carrying MSNBC in HD, as part of their transition to MPEG4, since August 8, along with several other current SD-only channels. Its already been carrying PBS Detroit (SD only in the West). The new HD channels are DIY HD, Fox News HD, Discovery Science HD, Treehouse HD, HLN HD, MSNBC HD, FYI HD, Cottage Life HD and AHC HD. Paramount Network HD also launched in MPEG-4 on August 8, 2018. I think TCM (Turner Classic Movies) is also HD. So they have HD on a bunch more channels, and have upgraded cable delivery systems over several years. So? The question now is when? 

0 Kudos

Not applicable

This is from Shaw's CRTC licence renewal. Basically says that they are at capacity.
(Thanks to Dr.Dave at DHC for digging this up)

Shaw submitted that it manages its cable plant’s total finite capacity to deliver Internet, video, and voice services with a portion of the available spectrum dedicated to each. Shaw argued that because of the current technologies it employs for its terrestrial BDUs, the spectrum allocated to video services is generally completely used, which means that it does not have the technical ability to distribute additional services at this time.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

In the meantime, another provider has added several 4K channels, as well as having those channels mentioned in HD. 

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Shaw Cable customers have been living with their Network Upgrade, since 2013. The move to all digital boxes was part of this. Here is their promise: "Shaw is improving the way we deliver your channels by converting every analog channel into a superior digital format. This upgrade is one of many ways in which we are enhancing our extensive network to deliver more channels and our best Internet service to your home."

Granted internet speeds have improved considerably, they've gone into cellular phones and they're upgrading TV signals as they transition satellites. What is not happening so fast is upgrading their Cable TV service from SD to HD (the effective standard everywhere but Shaw), even with availability on Shaw systems of HD versions of current SD channels.

Cable HDTV service has fallen considerably behind all local competitors. If there is a plan, when will they let customers know? The best to date is their telling people to make requests on their Channel Request form - a black hole give their apparent lack of capacity.

MSNBC

Revelstokian
Grasshopper

Here it is 2020 and MSNBC is still being provided in SD. This may be my last tv contract with Shaw. 

Shaw 's TV Programming is really lame especially for West...

ReynaldoFlores
Grasshopper

Shaw 's TV Programming is really lame especially for Western Provinces.  I had to change my package to get MSNBC and loose out on the some good channels.  LAME.  We need another TV Network Provider.  I've had enough of Telus and Shaw.

I've been asking for at least 4 years for MSNBC to be in...

ENATHANIEL
Grasshopper

I've been asking for at least 4 years for MSNBC to be in HD.  I've filled out numerous requests.  No response, and no mention of any plan to do so.  Very frustrating and could be treated better since I've been a customer for over 20 years.

MSNBC is in HD on the BlueCurve lineup, it is likely that...

rstra
Grand Master

MSNBC is in HD on the BlueCurve lineup, it is likely that Shaw won’t won’t make any changes to the basic lineup because the focus now is on BC TV.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help