Mail server issues

darkshado
Grasshopper

Ok I have a ticket open about this that I opened up like 7 days ago and there

has been no response from Shaw on this. I sent all of this information via

email. Now I am a trained Network Admin myself and this is not a simple

settings issue or something like that.

This error seems to be occurring randomly sometimes mail goes though ..

other times I get this error.

"Task 'jamieresume -[at]- shaw.ca - Sending' reported error 0x800CCC6F 'Your outgoing (SMTP)

email server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message

contact your server administrator or internet service provider (ISP).

The Server responded 554 mo22.dcs.int.inet.shaw.ca ESMTP server not available"

Now I did munge my email address above to prevent it from being harvested by spammers

Now a copy of the error can also be seen at Shaw Mail Error Aug 15 2018 — imgbb.com 

And yes I know the password for the account and it is the correct one and I can

log into http://webmail.shaw.ca/  successfully using that login name and password

so  I don't believe it is a password issue.

The ticket number is Incident: 180815-005566 now I have not heard any kind of a response

on this ticket either no one has contacted me about it.  I did call in to the tech support

again about this problem because it is still occurring.

Now I have tried to google that error message number and there isn't really any kind of a

solution that fits my situation. This isn't a PC issue because I can get the same

error from two different machines I have here one running Windows 10 and a 2nd

running Windows 7.  Two different PCs and the same error that rules out

that it is any kind of a PC issue.

This is not a configuration issue here either my outgoing mail server is

mail.shaw.ca and my incoming pop server is set to pop.shaw.ca

https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-1705

and

Email server settings: POP and IMAP 

Now as per the information I found the settings are the same for Outlook 2013 and 2016

I have followed this to double check my settings I also removed

the account from my Outlook 2016 and re-added it right from the start

and I still get the same error message.

Now for a mail client I am running Outlook 2016

Microsoft Outlook 2016 MSO (16.0.10325.20082) 32 Bit

Now the funny part is that even if I telnet to mail.shaw.ca port 25 which

is the Shaw mail server with no SSL encyption on it I get the same error.

I have a Linux box sitting here as well as I said I am a trained network admin

myself and that was what I was using to telnet directly to the mail server

for this test.

Here is the output I get when I telnet directly to the mail server

telnet mail.shaw.ca 25
Trying 64.59.128.135...
Connected to shawmail.glb.shawcable.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
554 mo21.dcs.int.inet shaw.ca ESMTP server not available
Connection closed by foreign host.

It shouldn't just immediately close it should sit at a prompt and wait

for a HELO or EHLO response to identify yourself. But instead the

mail server immediately spits out this error message.

This also rules out any kind of a mail client configuration issue as well.

So what gives Shaw everything I can see is pointing to a mail server issue on

your side.  Maybe a load issue because as i said this is happening randomly

sometimes and email will send other times it will not from my Shaw email

address.  It is totally random if the email is going to go. I have tried some with mail

attachments and some without mail attachments and it doesn't seem to

matter I have tried some with no attachments and get the same error.

This problem is still ongoing at this point and I have tried this from two different

machines here as well my main machine running Windows 10 and a 2nd machine

running windows 7 and both will get the same error. So that rules out any PC issues.

Also so you know that I do run Kaspersky Internet Security Version 18.0.0.405(i)

on the PCs but I have totally disabled it and shut it down for testing purposes

and I still get the same error.  So that kind of rules out any kind of security package

or Anti-Virus issue here.

Also yes I have tried setting up the secure mail connection as well using port 587 for the outgoing mail server and

port 995 for the incoming mail server and I still get the same error it doesn't seem

to matter what one I use.

I am not using any kind of a VPN and when I was on the phone I read him the IP I am currently

assigned and it does come back to being owned by Shaw Communications 70.74.168.15

Whois-RWS 

"Shaw Communications Inc"

Not using a VPN or anything like that as I said the IP does belong to Shaw.

Edit:

It is now August 25 2018 and still NO answer from Shaw..  I opened this ticket

(Incident: 180815-005566) on  August 15 2018 and STILL 10 days later and NO

one has sent me a response to this ticket via email or even called me.

This is Absolute bullshit this is the WORST customer service I have EVER seen

You are absolutely horrible Shaw!  You are a disgrace to the industry!

Labels (1)
8 Replies

Re: Mail server issues

daniel2233
Grasshopper

I have the same issue which is periodic.....

"...Your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or internet service provider )ISP). The server responded: 554 mo22.dcs.int.inet.shaw.ca ESMTP server not available CSI block.."

0 Kudos

Not applicable

This thread was helpful, few days ago i face the similar issue. 
thanx

0 Kudos

Not applicable

I have a similar issue but it is with Activesync on Shaw's side. I use Activesync to keep my Android phone and two computer email clients in sync with contacts and calendars. Everything was working great until maybe 6 -8 weeks ago. I thought it was something on my side but I have confirmed that it is on the Shaw side.

If I add a calendar entry or edit a contact on Shaw Webmail it doesn't reliably send the entry to all devices. When I do the same on my devices' client Shaw Webmail is not reliably updated. I turned on the the Activesync logging for my computer email client and the follow error is logged:

Web exception: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error.
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"/>
<title>Error 500 Mailbox access error</title>
</head>
<body><h2>HTTP ERROR 500</h2>
<p>Problem accessing /service/extension/zimbrasync. Reason:
<pre>    Mailbox access error</pre></p><hr><i><small>Powered by Jetty://</small></i><hr/>

</body>
</html>
10:19:35.708|011|  

Before you ask, the password and user name are all good. Set up is all good. Nothing on my side changed.

0 Kudos

Exact same problem here.  I had a techie friend help me o...

Norgie
Grasshopper

Exact same problem here.  I had a techie friend help me out, here is what we found:

I can't send mail from my home network using my laptop and Outlook 2010.  Tried changing a number of settings, no luck.  Tried sending via webmail, same problem, I can't send from webmail either.  When my techie friend tries to use my webmail account at his location, it works fine.  Also tried my phone, when I'm connected to my wifi - not able to send.  When I turn off wifi and use my phone data, no problem.  We've narrowed it down to having this problem only when trying to send via my home network/wifi - that is connected to the Internet via Xplornet - satellite.  Very strange though is the fact that webmail doesn't work via the Xplorenet connection either - there must be something within the Shaw Webmail server that detects the incoming connection to the webmail from Xplornet?  This all started happening within the past day.  Everything was working fine and nothing has changed on my end.

0 Kudos

-- Very strange though is the fact that webmail doesn't w...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Norgie -- Very strange though is the fact that webmail doesn't work via the Xplorenet connection either - there must be something within the Shaw Webmail server that detects the incoming connection to the webmail from Xplornet? 

When you use Shaw WebMail, you are interacting with a Shaw web-site. When you click "send", you are sending text to Shaw's web-site, and that web-site communicates with Shaw's own mail-server to send the message.  For me, Shaw WebMail works fine, no matter how I connect to it (Starbucks WiFi, Telus free WiFi, A&W free WiFi, my dental surgeon's free WiFi, et cetera).

However, when using Outlook to send E-mail, you have to configure Outlook to connect to the ISP's mail-server, e.g., when connected to the Internet via Xplorenet,  Outlook must send to their mail-server. Spammers would love to send through an "open-relay" mail-server -- a mail-server that will accept an incoming message from any IP-address on the Internet, and then will send the message to any E-mail ID on the Internet. So, most mail-servers are NOT "open-relay" servers -- they accept messages only from a range of IP-addresses owned by their Internet Service Provider.

> Also tried my phone, when I'm connected to my wifi - not able to send. 

Same restriction -- when sending through your ISP (Xplorenet), whether from your desktop or laptop or phone, you have to configure the E-mail program on your device to send only to your ISP's mail-server.

> When I turn off wifi and use my phone data, no problem.  

Your phone must be configured to send through your cell-phone company's mail-server. When you enable "WiFi", your cell-phone needs to be reconfigured to send through Xplorenet's mail-server.

>  nothing has changed on my end.

Really? Something must have changed.

0 Kudos

Well, a couple more calls to Shaw, then to Xplorenet.  I...

Norgie
Grasshopper

Well, a couple more calls to Shaw, then to Xplorenet.  I talked to a higher level technician at Xplornet; he asked me to unplug modem and router, making sure modem was plugged directly into wall, not power bar.  I left everything unplugged for 2 minutes, plugged it back in and it fixed it.  He thinks it was the router. 

0 Kudos

-- a quote from an Internet search: SMTP error 554 is one...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Norgie -- a quote from an Internet search:

SMTP error 554 is one of the more vague error codes, but is typically caused by the receiving server seeing something in the From or To headers that it doesn't like. This can be caused by a spam trap identifying your machine as a relay, or as a machine not trusted to send mail from your domain.

Unplugging your device for a few minutes may have caused it to obtain a different IP-address when it was restarting.

If your previous IP-address was "flagged", and you now have a new IP-address, that is not "flagged", you could be OK.

0 Kudos

When signing in sometimes I get nothing (nothing happens...

mariok
Grasshopper

When signing in sometimes I get nothing (nothing happens and the button returns to "blue" like I never hit it OR I get "Unable to communicate with login server".

Can I expect a discount off my internet/email service I pay for because it doesn't work properly? That how things work in the real world - you sell someone stuff that doesn't work and guess what - they want their money back !!!!!!!!!!!! This has been going on for weeks !!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help