AnsweredAssumed Answered

Will this drive work as an expander?

Question asked by pjscott on Oct 16, 2018
Latest reply on Nov 12, 2018 by kevinds

Hello.  I have an old hard drive that I used as an expander for my previous Shaw PVR, probably 10 years old. I moved it to my DCX3510-M when I got it about a year and a half ago, formatted it, and used it, but a lot of shows are being recorded with errors now: the picture will freeze for a second and come back with massive pixelation and do a Max Headroom stuttering. This seems to happen a lot.  I know the feed is fine.  So I suspect the drive has had it.

I looked for guidance on a replacement (because this drive came from Shaw), but didn't find it.  On my own I came up with this:

Amazon.com: Fantom Drives 4TB External Hard Drive - USB 3.0/3.1 Gen 1 + eSATA Aluminum Case - Mac, Windows, PS4, and Xbo… 

Does that look like it would work?  When I swap drives and format the new one, will it still see shows that I assume are recorded on the internal drive?  I don't know how to tell which shows are recorded on which disk. I hope we won't lose everything just because they don't know how to do indexing in multiple locations.

Outcomes