Dns Problems

phantomw1nd
Grasshopper

I lose internet randomly and every day I have to reset the router and it is always a DNS issue, and it only effects the wired connect, we have tried different wires. I would like to know what is going on and why does your DNS servers always have issues.

Labels (1)
12 Replies

Re: Dns Problems

shaw-tony

Hey phantomw1nd,

Thank you for reaching out! I haven't heard of any reports of DNS issues with our servers. Are you able to try and manually set your DNS to the Google DNS 8.8.8.8 to see if the issues persist with the random disconnections? Please keep me posted.

Thanks,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

No how do we do that

billebob
Grasshopper

No how do we do that

0 Kudos

I didn't know you could reset a modem. How do you do it....

dspike
Grasshopper

I didn't know you could reset a modem. How do you do it. We only have internet if we are actually on the same floor in the house. This has just started recently.

0 Kudos

-- DNS issue If your Internet connection goes down, the F...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@phantomw1nd -- DNS issue

If your Internet connection goes down, the FIRST place that you notice it is in DNS requests that are sent, but the replies do not reach your computer. For me, Shaw's DNS-servers have been 100% fine, but my Internet connection also has been 100% fine. So, a "DNS issue" is just a symptom of some other issue, rather than being the cause of your issue.

@dspike -- I didn't know you could reset a modem. How do you do it.

Easiest way is to disconnect its power-cord, wait a few seconds, and then reconnect the power-cord.

Or, with a straightened paper-clip pushed through a tiny hole in the case of the cable-modem, you can fully reset the modem to its "factory" settings.

> We only have internet if we are actually on the same floor in the house. This has just started recently.

The WiFi "cloud" produced by the WiFi adapter inside the cable-modem is shaped like a donut -- thick from side-to-side, and not very tall. So, "side-to-side" is the rooms on the level of the house where the modem is, while the "thick" does not extend up to an upper floor, or down to a lower floor. Having your WiFi-enabled device one floor up (or down) exactly vertically above the modem is going to be the weakest signal. Move about the other level, to see if the signal-strength changes for the better.

0 Kudos

-- it only [affects] the wired connections That is strang...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@phantomw1nd -- it only [affects] the wired connections

That is strange that it does not affect your WiFi devices.

At the moment when you have your issue, open a Windows command-line prompt, and type:  tracert 8.8.8.8

Do you get output ending with something like:

11 ms  rc1wt-be40.wa.shawcable.net [66.163.68.18]
  11 ms  72.14.221.102
  15 ms  108.170.245.113
  12 ms  209.85.242.39
  10 ms  dns.google [8.8.8.8]

i.e., a mixture of IP-addresses with/without FQDNs (Fully Qualified Domain Names), or just IP-addresses, or something different? Show us.

0 Kudos

In our situation I totally disagree... However we have fo...

Beardedgrump
Grasshopper

In our situation I totally disagree... However we have found issues in our line 762 ft from the modem in our house. We are just waiting on shaw maintenance crew to actually fix the issue. Our dns service will dump and leave us and 34 other trailers in our trailer park without internet for hours at a time. It's gonna so bad I have to tether my computer to my cellular network to work from home.(Gets expensive real quick). We have reached out to Telus to install a Fiber trunk line in our trailer park and will be switching over to a more stable connection soon. we had an 8 day stretch where of those 192 hours of possible service, only 16 were useable.... When you pay over $100 a month for a service and you get less than 20% of the time paid for.... you tend to get unhappy. So far we have 11 people openly waiting for telus to switch ISPs due to shaw's lack of availability on repairs in their end of the system.  Hopefully when Rogers takes over Shaw in a few months they will learn to take care of their customers needs. Cause at this point, it's Highway Robbery!

0 Kudos

If the problem is with the DNS server, why don’t you just...

rstra
Grand Master

@Beardedgrump If the problem is with the DNS server, why don’t you just switch server, either through the the router (if it isn’t BlueCurve) or on the computer, table etc?

If it is a problem with the cable infrastructure in the trailer park, has the park management tried talking to Shaw about repairs? 

0 Kudos

Yes. I have had park owner talk to shaw and shaw has sent...

Beardedgrump
Grasshopper

Yes. I have had park owner talk to shaw and shaw has sent out a team for repairs..  that was setup 2 weeks ago. Have not heard anything back and no one will tell me a timeframe for repairs.  As for swapping dns. . Bluecurve modem. The white one.   Cant change piss all in it. 

0 Kudos

shaw firmwre doesn't allow dns setting to be changed.  i...

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

shaw firmwre doesn't allow dns setting to be changed.  i know shaw does suck for doing this. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/shaw/comments/mhgdv1/shaws_router_doesnt_support_changing_the_dns/

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help