AnsweredAssumed Answered

Gateway expander -- looking for advice about what/where to buy.

Question asked by alant on Oct 10, 2018
Latest reply on Nov 10, 2018 by cdx304

My previous expander has died.  From reading past forum posts, I understand that I need an eSATA hard drive that has no USB (just eSATA), has just a single partition, is designed to be run 24/7 without spinning down to sleep mode.  Several years ago there were specific model numbers mentioned in several forum posts, but most of these are no longer readily available.  I have contacted several local computer stores here in Victoria but they don't carry eSATA stuff anymore (one looked them up in a catalog but could not find enclosures without USB).  The ones I've seen on amazon.ca also have USB as well as eSATA.  I am hoping someone can provide current model numbers and where-to-purchase information -- anywhere in the 2-to-6 TB range.  I believe that Western Digital purple SATA drives are good, but then I would need an enclosure and I haven't found one that meets the criteria listed above.  (I am not an expert on this kind of stuff.  I rapidly get lost when I read things like Raiding drives together, so I am hoping for some easy-to-understand information!)

Outcomes