Troublesome VPN issues with XB6 Gateway (CGM4140COM) - Constant disconnecting and reconnecting

jjensen
Grasshopper

Troublesome VPN issues with XB6 Gateway - Constant disconnecting and reconnecting.

Model:CGM4140COM
Vendor:Technicolor
Hardware Revision:2.2

The connection is verified and then establishes a secure connection the within a minute drops and reconnects every minute - minute and half. 

My company is using the latest version Cisco AnyConnect software and are planning to pilot a new version in the next week. I am testing at home with the current version and not finding any clues as to why this is happening. My current work laptop will not drop the VPN when I use my phone as a hotspot. Connected to my home modem via LAN with the client IP set as DMZ results in the same issue. 

For the record the VPN hardware is recent as well as I work in the public sector the infrastructure supports 100's users without issue. I have already opened a ticket with my support team only to have them point to the ISP. Surely there is someone who can provide some technical support as to why this happening. 

#VPN # XB6 Gateway #(CGM4140COM)

Labels (1)
10 Replies

Re: Troublesome VPN issues with XB6 Gateway (CGM4140COM) - Constant disconnecting and reconnecting

shaw-tamara

Hi  

VPN issues are unfortunately outside of our support scope, so we may not be able to help you with this. That said, I'm curious if this is just happening when you connect to your VPN or are you noticing the connection drop at other times as well?

0 Kudos

Re: Troublesome VPN issues with XB6 Gateway (CGM4140COM) - Constant disconnecting and reconnecting

jjensen
Grasshopper

Yes I have had other sever drops but as for now I contributed them to a defective modem. Since the modem has been replaced I do not have enough information to determine other drops right now. In the next couple of weeks  I will be testing our new VPN release. The first round of testing is rather simple, establish a secure connection and verify share resources (mapped drives, secure Email ...Etc, ) are accessible while connected. The second round of testing will be more technical and performed externally while our partners conduct more specific SSL inspections and SEP reporting surveys on the installed and (Connected Client) which is why it is very important to me that I can resolve the connection issue quickly.  Is there any specific information that I can provide to assist you in assisting me?   

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Have Shaw check the signal level to the modem.

0 Kudos

jjensen
Grasshopper

So just to bring this up to date, I have had the router replaced again, I have also invested in new Lynksys EA8300 Tri channel router with VPN passthrough. Since bridging the modem and the edition of the router the VPN does not disconnect and reconnect. Having said that O lead to believe that the XB6 Gateway doesn't support VPN passthrough even though ports were forwarded. 

0 Kudos

By the way I resolved this issue by Bridging the Modem an...

jjensen
Grasshopper

By the way I resolved this issue by Bridging the Modem and purchasing a Linksys EA8300 Router. The Linksys EA8300 Max-Stream AC2200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router was around $250.00 on sale when I bought it. My VPN is no longer an issue. 

0 Kudos

It's the CGM4140COM's firmware

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

I suspect Shaw is using a slightly modified firmware that Xfinity in the US is using. It's been reported and I can confirm as I am also experiencing this issue now that this device throttles VPN. Just today, we upgraded to this modem. It will be going back. It also has some limitations and 'features' I don't like.

I'll be calling Shaw support this weekend and request the Hitron Modem I had before.

0 Kudos

Just an update. The Hitron modem is in very very high dem...

Upfront6891
Grasshopper

Just an update. The Hitron modem is in very very high demand. 

0 Kudos

I was also having problems in 2019 and switched to the HI...

Amalano
Grasshopper

I was also having problems in 2019 and switched to the HITRON router. 

It has not been a problem until 20June2021.  Now it does not work.

I can get the VPN using my cell phone Hotspot on a BELL network.

It looks like HITRON just went through a software update and is now version 4.5.11.24b1.  I suspect that this is what happened since the Admin logon screen of the the Hitron now has a copywrite of 2021

any new suggestions?

0 Kudos

-- It has not been a problem until 20June2021.  Now it do...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Amalano -- It has not been a problem until 20June2021.  Now it does not work.

My Hitron restarted 37 days ago:

Overview

This menu displays important information of the device

System Overview

Hardware Version 1A
Software Version 4.5.11.24b1
Gateway Serial Number 25115B037702
System Time Thu, 24 Jun 2021 01:18:01
WAN Up Time 037 days 00h:03m:08s

and is running the same software version as your Hitron.

So, contact Shaw ( 1-888-472-2222 or www.shaw.ca/chat ) to get them to trouble-shoot your connection.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help