Router Recommendation To Take Full Advantage Of Shaw 600

Not applicable

I currently have a D-Link DIR-880L AC1900 dual band router which was giving me good speed when I had Shaw 300. I now have Shaw 600, and I find that I max out at about 450 down with this router. My Shaw XB6 modem is bridged to allow proper use of the router.

When I connect my Shaw XB6 directly to a desktop computer, I easily get 600 plus down. This would indicate to me that the speed slow down is within the D-Link router. It's about 2 or 3 years old, so it's not overly ancient, but clearly it doesn't have the juice to allow me to get speeds of 600. In addition, this modem, which I bought at Costco, has a limited number of internal IP reservations, and it seems to max out at about 25 devices, and after that you can't even attach names to internal IP addresses. Very frustrating.

So I'm looking for recommendations for a standalone AC router that will allow me to get at least 600 out of my bridged modem, and also one that will give me unlimited local IP reservations and ability to name tag them etc.

Any recommendations from people that may have already run into this problem and have remedied it would be appreciated. I don't want to go out and buy a new router only to find out that it too will not do the job that I want it to.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: Router Recommendation To Take Full Advantage Of Shaw 600

Not applicable

Well, the problem could be with your router, but I'd say to check the cable first - wrong category could be the issue and it's a lot cheaper to fix than buying a router.

I have a mesh setup with the Arris XB6 connected to a TP-Link AC3200 which is in turn connected via Cat5e (1000mbps bandwith spec.) to a TP-Link Archer C7 acting as an access point (3200 deals with the DHCP and WAN stuff). Due to the limit of bandwidth going to the C7 (rated for max bandwidth of 1750 mbps wireless link speed) I did testing on the 3200 (rated for 3200mbps w/ 1200mbps per AC band) instead (but I believe the cable connecting that to the XB6 is also cat5e. Not sure at the moment).

Note that I've rarely actually gotten 600mbps myself on any of this hardware (most likely due to node saturation), even while using the XB6 alone, but on the AC band from the 3200 I've gotten these results with Speedtest by Ookla:

• <10ms avg. ping
  • ~22mbps avg. Upload
  • ~350 avg. Download

The best results I ever got was 650 down and 40 up, and the worst somewhere around 70 down and 12 up.

tldr: check for catX (cable) bottlenecks, check bandwidth of wireless bands on routers, remember that the bandwidth is shared across connected devices, and remember that network noise also shares bandwidth (routing protocols, pings, etc.)

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help