Personal Server + Dynamic DNS Policy

Not applicable

tl;dr at bottom.

Summary/Context (with research):

So before anything else, yes. I have read the acceptable use policy - specifically the part where it states: "You may not run a server in connection with the Shaw Services nor may you provide network services to others via the Shaw Services. Examples of prohibited servers and services include but are not limited to mail, http, ftp, irc, dhcp servers, and multi-user interactive forums."

My question comes in regard to ambiguity in the above statement as Shaw seems to blanket-ban all servers in the traditional sense where incoming (from the internet) requests eat up bandwidth. But does not state anything about private-use servers or remote connections. Even going so far as to make generic mentions of these types of uses under the security section where it states: "Shaw recommends that any files or services you make available for remote access be password protected."

With that in mind, I would like to set up a personal server which I feel does not violate the agreement (specifically the above 2 portions) due to the max single-client nature of the server (which is comparable bandwidth-wise to using various cloud services from home, and also in line with "nor may you provide network services to others" since it's only me).

Question:

To make the personal server accessible though, I would need to set up a dynamic dns service (no-ip for example) to account for ip lease renewals that may happen while I'm away from home so I don't lose access when I might have an active session. What I can't seem to find is anything regarding dynamic dns in Shaw's terms. What is Shaw's policy on uitlizing a dynamic dns service?

tl;dr:

I'm setting up a home server. What are Shaw's rules on using dynamic dns services?

Tags (2)
8 Replies

Re: Personal Server + Dynamic DNS Policy

matt_engops
Shaw Squad

I spoke to one of our AUP folks this morning and they advised me that we do not have any sort of rule or stance around the use of dynamic DNS services at this time. As with any service this could of course change in the future.

I've also been considering as a little project setting up...

AlexinEdmonton
Grasshopper

I've also been considering as a little project setting up a small home server using a Raspberry Pi, in order to host my own website, something I ran across in an article a month or so ago. Unfortunately sounds like this would be restricted by Shaw currently. I wasn't thinking it would be a commercial site or anything, just a small site with some project info, etc, but I think I'd need the DDNS for this to be functional as well, if even allowed to begin with. If you've heard any updates on whether DDNS is offered, I'd be interested to know as well!

0 Kudos

> .. to account for ip lease renewals that may happen whi...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> .. to account for ip lease renewals that may happen while I'm away from home so I don't lose access when I might have an active session.

One of the features of DHCP ("Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol") is renewal of a previously-granted lease, to maintain the same IP-address.

For example, when your computer makes a DHCP-request, Shaw's DNS-server returns an IP-address for you to use, along with a TTL ("time to live") value, i.e., "you are authorized to use this IP-address for 20 hours". Your computer should issue another DHCP-request at the 50% mark (10 hours later), and Shaw's DHCP-server usually will issue another lease, with the *same* IP-address, and the same TTL value. If Shaw's DHCP-server does not respond, your computer will issue another DHCP-request, somewhat later in the "life" of your lease.  So, as long as your computer is "up", you should always receive the same IP-address.

Second point: rather than trying to remotely connect by IP-address to your computer, connect by the DNS-name that Shaw provides.

For example, access www.who.is to find the "public" IP-address of your Shaw router. Then, from a command-line prompt, enter: nslookup www.xxx.yyy.zzz -- use that "public" IP-address, to get a name, e.g., "S010600FC8DF4D124.aa.shawcable.net". Shaw has constructed that name with the "S0106" prefix, plus the unique 12-character value of the MAC-address of your Shaw router.  Connect to that name -- Shaw always maps that long name to the *current* IP-address assigned to that device, even if Shaw's DHCP-server has changed your assigned IP-address.

0 Kudos

> ... sounds like this would be restricted by Shaw curren...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> ... sounds like this would be restricted by Shaw currently ...

Yes, that seems to be Shaw's policy.

<opinion>

However, ask yourself if Shaw has the person-power to proactively look for such servers, and what benefit it would be for them to look for them.

A long time ago, Shaw would contact users when their "upload" traffic greatly exceeded their "download" traffic -- remember NAPSTER, and other "file-sharing" apps?

Now that many Shaw customers are "content-generators", streaming out to the Internet their online activities -- generating lots of "upload" traffic -- I doubt that Shaw will "flag" your "modest" usage.

Having a policy gives them the right to "police" your usage, and maybe to suggest that you upgrade to a "Shaw Business" account. Not having a policy would "tie their hands".  Canadian police officers carry a loaded gun, but very rarely use it. Do "British bobbies" still go "gun-less" ???

</opinion>

Matt Are you saying that SHWA Residential *does not* supp...

CA-ALS-LAB
Grasshopper

Matt

Are you saying that SHWA Residential *does not* support DDNS as part of a standard router configuration ?

Like all other telco in the world ?

You cannot rely on IP if you have a server at home, when the provider use DHCP. you know that

AA

0 Kudos

-- you cannot rely on IP-address ... when the provider us...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@CA-ALS-LAB -- you cannot rely on IP-address ... when the provider uses DHCP

So, on the Shaw network, instead of IP-address, rely on the FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name), which changes only when you physically replace your Shaw cable-modem.

See my context around my remark above: connect by the DNS-name that Shaw provides.

0 Kudos

Sorry, I think you misunderstood the context You *cannot*...

CA-ALS-LAB
Grasshopper

Sorry, I think you misunderstood the context

You *cannot* configure a Dynamic DNS service using a fqdn 

see Oracle DynDNS service https://help.dyn.com/remote-access/ or other provider.

You need the carrier router to support DDNS service (such as 99% of the carrier in the world)

or be able to install an agent on the router (not an option with most of the carriers)

SHAW needs to upgrade his router configuration to add the DDNS service

0 Kudos

Wow that worked like a charm. Just setting up a small ras...

fone1987
Grasshopper

Wow that worked like a charm.

Just setting up a small raspberrypi project, now I don't have to worry about my router resetting if I go away on vacation.

Thank you, that was really useful !

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help