Advanced wifi router need to connect to 2.4 only not auto connect to 5

kimjay7
Grasshopper

Hi, We just recently got the Shaw Advanced wifi Arris XB6.  My son just ordered some smart led light bulbs for his room. According to the Smart life app for the bulbs he needs to connect his iphone to 2.4 wifi then connect the bulbs. Can't get the bulbs to connect but then realized his ipnhone 6s is automatically connecting to 5g wifi.

How to do I get his phone to connect only to the 2.4 wifi and not automatically to 5g wifi signal as this router isn't like the old one that broadcast 2.4 or 5 and you decided what to connect too?

Thanks

Labels (1)
12 Replies

Re: Advanced wifi router need to connect to 2.4 only not auto connect to 5

kimjay7
Grasshopper

I found a fix but I’d still like to know for the future if that’s possible. I used a old Samsung tablet that self connected to the 2.4 only. Then set up the light bulbs thru the Samsung tablet. He can control the bulbs thru the Samsung tablet or his iPhone as it’s a app that can be on 2 devices with the 1 account. 

0 Kudos

shaw-tamara

Hi  

It sounds like the best option would be to disable band steering on the modem so that the 2.4GHz network has a different name from the 5GHz network, which will make it easier for your devices to connect to the network you want. You can find the steps for that on https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-12144

0 Kudos

kimjay7
Grasshopper

the link you sent says its unauthorized and goes nowhere

shaw-tamara

Oh, sorry about that! https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-18198 should work - you basically just need to change the names so that each network has a separate name. If they both use the same name, then the modem will use band steering to connect devices automatically. 

Yeah, I found in one corner of our upstairs bedroom, wifi...

Mendel
Grasshopper

Yeah, I found in one corner of our upstairs bedroom, wifi with our XB6 was dropping to two or one bar, disappearing completely, asking if I'd like to connect, and so on. Both the 2.4 and 5 gHz bands had the same name. I revised name of 5 gHz, added suffix " - 5 gHz", Then I can force connection to be 2.4, by picking that name. And that corner of bedroom has steady 3 bars now.

Yes, I have the same problem. My cell connected to WiFi a...

Subicbaysector
Grasshopper

Yes, I have the same problem. My cell connected to WiFi at 5 G automatically. I hook up my 10 years old router as a second network, has different network name and password. Of course, the old timer router only broadcasts in 2.4 G . First , I use my tablet connected to  this old router to do the set up for my smart plugs and security cam, then I use my cell log in the apps ( even my cell connected to Shaw router at 5G ).When my phone connected to all  2.4 g devices, I deleted  my tablet  connection to the old router, I don't need  the tablet to have it turn on anymore. You can watch on YouTube to see how to set up a second router. Good luck

0 Kudos

-- I hook up my 10 years old router  I am curious. If you...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Subicbaysector -- I hook up my 10 years old router 

I am curious. If you connect a computer to the Shaw router via a "CAT-5e" (or "CAT-6") Ethernet cable, and run the Shaw SpeedTest, what download speed is reported? If you move the Ethernet cable to connect to your "10 years old" router, and repeat the test, what download speed is reported? For a "10 year old" router that I tried, there was a significant difference in the speeds.

I think that the best idea is what @Mendel and @shaw-tamara recommended -- configure the Shaw router to an SSID for the 2.4 Ghz band, and a different SSID for the 5 Ghz band.

0 Kudos

I suggest trying your router set to default and let the r...

rickatk
Master

@kimjay7 wrote:

I found a fix but I’d still like to know for the future if that’s possible. I used a old Samsung tablet that self connected to the 2.4 only. Then set up the light bulbs thru the Samsung tablet. He can control the bulbs thru the Samsung tablet or his iPhone as it’s a app that can be on 2 devices with the 1 account. 

I suggest trying your router set to default and let the router and lights figure it out. I have gear (lights) that prefer 2.4ghz for setup and they figured things out with the my Gateway set to dual band(default). On the other hand my TV prefers 5Ghz and does so on the Gateway by itself. Don’t worry about the fact your lights prefer 2.4Ghz, they will figure it out with your router set to dual band. Setting to discrete will result in you  having to manually point your lights to the 2.4Ghz band. BTW these devices that state 2.4Ghz is generally for setup only and they will run happily on a 5Ghz band.

I have found setting up my gateway and pods and letting the AI do the rest has resulted in a happy stable system.

I just use the old router for 2.4 g devices connections o...

Subicbaysector
Grasshopper

I just use the old router for 2.4 g devices connections only like smart plugs and security cam .Laptops and cellphones etc..always connect to the primary Shaw router for much faster data speed and higher security. This is just  another option  to make 2.4 g devices up and running. I am glad that I can re-use my 10 year old router again, also extend the wireless range further. Good luck 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help