How to disable hidden wifi signals from Technicolor XB6?

Not applicable

The XB6 is broadcasting hidden wifi signals even though it's in bridged mode. These wifi signals are over powering mine, what's even worse is that they are broadcasting 80mhz so are litterally taking all channels. How can I disable them?

Labels (2)
6 Replies

Would love to hear a solution or workaround for this as I...

fullhack
Grasshopper

Would love to hear a solution or workaround for this as I am facing the same issues.

0 Kudos

-- this topic has been previously been a thread on this d...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@fullhack -- this topic has been previously been a thread on this discussion forum. Those "hidden" WiFi networks connect to the "XI6" remote TV boxes in other rooms in your home.  Do you use any of those XI6 boxes? Do you want to continue to use one (or more) ?

0 Kudos

- I have no need for wireless tv boxes.  I have two XiD b...

fullhack
Grasshopper

@mdk  - I have no need for wireless tv boxes.  I have two XiD boxes that are wired with coax.  I'm facing significant 2.4 and 5 channel congestion in my area and the radios on the xb6 are just blasting away at the moment adding to it.  If you have any tricks or thoughts on how I can completely kill the antennas on this box, or another suggestion, I'm all ears 😉  Thanks!

0 Kudos

--  how can I completely kill the antennas on this box, o...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@fullhack --  how can I completely kill the antennas on this box, or another suggestion

Since you do not own the XB6, it would be inappropriate to disassemble it, and physically disable the WiFi adapters, and/or disconnect the internal antennas, to weaken the signal.

There was one posting in a different thread on this topic where it was stated that when Shaw "bridged" the device, those WiFi signals were deactivated.

So, have you considered "bridging" the device, and connecting your own WiFi-capable router, and then connecting your devices to it, instead of to the Shaw device?

0 Kudos

- Already bridged. I am already bridged and running my ow...

fullhack
Grasshopper

@mdk- Already bridged.

I am already bridged and running my own wireless gear (which is why I wanted to disable the antennas on the XB6).  Despite it being in bridged mode, the antennas are still a tube and broadcasting without visible SSID's.  Seems like I may be out of luck.  Maybe I can wrap it in a Farady cage of some kind to kill the signal coming from it....   

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help