BlueSky and Dolby Digital 5.1

deltaboy
Grasshopper

just built a new Sonos surround system and cannot seem to get any DD 5.1 from anything out of the XG1v3...

like all my other devices (that work fine) it is connected to my HDTV via HDMI and my tv serves the digital audio to my Sonos Amp. stereo is the only audio format that is available. my question is: is it possible to enjoy Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound from content fed thru the Shaw box? does that mean any new programming, VOD, or Netflix will not provide me the audio I desire...

Apple TV 4K: everything works

Xbox One: everything works

Shaw XG1v3: nope. only stereo sound

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: BlueSky and Dolby Digital 5.1

rickatk
Master

Check the terminal’s audio output settings. It may not be set to DD5.1.

Menu> settings(gear wheel)> audio output.

I have the same issue, but with a Sonos Beam. The XG1v3au...

JBB
Grasshopper

I have the same issue, but with a Sonos Beam. The XG1v3auto detects Dolby Digital Plus, but Stereo is the only setting that the beam detects sound. My Apple TV and old Arris Gateway box worked fine. 

0 Kudos

I have the older Arris Gateway PVR running through HDMI t...

gdk
Grasshopper

I have the older Arris Gateway PVR running through HDMI to a Samsung 55d700 and then out through my HDMI ARC port to my Sonos ARC. I only get PCM 2.0 stereo. 

My AppleTV 4K seems to pass through the TV to the Sonos ARC in 5.1 no problem.

And one more piece of the puzzle. I also have a second setup. Shaw PVR (same as above) connect to a Denon amp via HDMI. The Denon amp in this case shows it's receiving 5.1 from the PVR.

So....It's like the Samsung TV and/or the Sonos ARC can't decode the 5.1 signal coming from the Shaw Arris PVR for some reason.

I wish I knew what the handshaking looks like. Does the Samsung TV tell the Shaw PVR that it only can understand the 2.0, or is the Sonos ARC the master?

0 Kudos

I suspect your cable box is auto detecting the Sonos ARC...

rickatk
Master

@gdk wrote:

I have the older Arris Gateway PVR running through HDMI to a Samsung 55d700 and then out through my HDMI ARC port to my Sonos ARC. I only get PCM 2.0 stereo. 

My AppleTV 4K seems to pass through the TV to the Sonos ARC in 5.1 no problem.

And one more piece of the puzzle. I also have a second setup. Shaw PVR (same as above) connect to a Denon amp via HDMI. The Denon amp in this case shows it's receiving 5.1 from the PVR.

So....It's like the Samsung TV and/or the Sonos ARC can't decode the 5.1 signal coming from the Shaw Arris PVR for some reason.

I wish I knew what the handshaking looks like. Does the Samsung TV tell the Shaw PVR that it only can understand the 2.0, or is the Sonos ARC the master?

Try and set your cable box to expert mode or 5.1.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help