slow wifi

wynford
Grasshopper

Why is my Cisco DPC3825 router slower wireless than wired? I just upgraded to internet 75 and using Shaw's speed test I got around 44Mbps wireless and around 85Mbps wired. I'm not complaining about the speeds, compared to what I had, internet 15, but why is there such a big difference, almost doubled? How or what can I do to get wireless closer to the speed of  wired?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies

Re: slow wifi

shaw-tamara

Hi wynford 

There are a few different reasons why your might be seeing slower than expected speeds over WiFi. In my experience, interference from other devices is the most common culprit, so the step I'd recommend first is changing the wireless channel on your modem. You can find a full breakdown of the most common troubleshooting steps here.

Let us know how that goes! 

0 Kudos

wynford
Grasshopper

I've changed radio band, channel width, standard channel and wide channel and the only difference is that the wifi stays the same or goes slower

0 Kudos

shaw-tamara

There could be something close to the modem causing interference, which would result in slower speeds over WiFi. Some examples include physical objects like walls, especially brick, stone or concrete, or electronics like cordless phones, microwaves, large appliances etc. This page on WiFi Interference has some more information and tips on how you can reduce this. 

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Wireless will almost always be slower than a wired connection. Think of it like watering your lawn. 

Taking the hose over to something will get more water than if you took the hose, connected a sprinkler and then tried to aim in the area you want. 

wynford
Grasshopper

Guess I'll have to stick with this cable across the floor

0 Kudos

jcsieben
Grasshopper

I have the Shaw internet 300, and am getting 25 Mbps download. 

0 Kudos

Not applicable

The Cisco DPC3825 is not a dual band device.
This means that you only have access to the 2.4 network (which can suffer from interference)

A new dual band modem will allow you access to the faster 5g network (which will get you better speeds, but has a shorter range than the 2.4 network).

wynford
Grasshopper

Wonder if I could get a newer modem?

0 Kudos

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

you might have noticed, if you do get a newer modem, you might get a new shaw service called bluecurve as now the old plans are now grandfatered in.  

https://www.shaw.ca/bluecurve/

0 Kudos