event log

Not applicable

My XB6 event log shows these 2 entries below every single day at the same time.

Modem is in bridged mode.

DHCP client on XB6 cannot be disabled.

ti_dhcp6c[9565]: 72001011-DHCPv6 - Missing Required Option 822019/4/18 02:42:42Critical
ti_dhcp6c[9565]: 72001011-DHCPv6 - Missing Required Option 242019/4/18 02:42:42Critical

As per https://www.iana.org/assignments/bootp-dhcp-parameters/bootp-dhcp-parameters.xml

Option 24 should be MTU timeout.

Option 82 should be relay agent information.

Now initially I thought the modem was not using IPv6, but on closer inspection I realized both V6 and V4 are enabled and there is no way to turn V6 off.

I don't know why Shaw decided to force V6 on, but obviously they did with some update recently. I don't believe it was enabled last time I checked.

Since I do not use V6, I am pretty sure these 2 errors will pop up because I am not using V6,

Please fix the issue or even better allow V6 to be toggled off.

3 Replies

Re: event log

shaw-tony

Hey vanadiel,

Thank you for the details and feedback. I will pass this along to our product engineers to review.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

Has anything come about from this subject? I am experienc...

fullglass
Grasshopper

Has anything come about from this subject? I am experiencing the same matters. 

0 Kudos

> every single day at the same time. One of your DHCP-cli...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> every single day at the same time.

One of your DHCP-clients (desktop computer, notebook's WiFi adapter, smart-phone) is sending a DHCP-request every day, at the same time, to "renew" the IP-address that was received by a previous DHCP-request (one day ago). The DHCP-server (the Shaw router) assigned an IP-address, along with a "TTL" ("time to live"). The TTL is like renting an apartment by the month -- at the end of the paid-for month, you must pay for the upcoming month to continue to stay in the same apartment.  My guess is that the TTL is "two days". The protocol obeyed by the DHCP-client is to ask for a "renewal" of the IP-address at the 50% point in the life of the TTL (and later, sending more requests, if that first request does not get a response).

So, on each DHCP-client, check when the current IP-address was "renewed", to match that date/time with the date/time in your log-file, to find which of your devices sent the "renew" request. That specific device is sending a DHCP-request, asking for both "IPv4" and "IPv6" responses, but there is something "funky" about how it has created the "IPv6" request.  Can you disable "IPv6" on that specific client? If you can, that will eliminate the messages from your log-file.

Note that the Shaw router does the "IPv6-to-IPv4" translation, because Shaw's network is based on "IPv4". So, there is no advantage for your DHCP-client to receive an "IPv6" response.

TALK TO US
We're here to help