Hitron CGNM-2250 dropping

jhasselm
Grasshopper

I've seen other issues with the Hitron in this forum, but am adding another in hopes of getting a quick resolution.  We have replaced a Hitron with another Hitron because it kept dropping internet.  This one is worse and won't stay 'connected' for more than 10 minutes.  We are tethering to our mobiles as a result.

We can see the modem and connect to it from all devices in the house.  But once connected to the modem there is no internet access.  We have tried using the cable to connect to the modem when it drops and even that doesn't help.  It is so unstable, we now connect for about 5 minutes to a few hours before it drops.

We have no router, no extraneous network items - this is a simple home network with Shaw service and the Hitron.

Any ideas / help / thoughts?  We've heard various reasons from the chat support, but none of that is working.

Labels (1)
29 Replies

Re: Hitron CGNM-2250 dropping

shaw-tamara

Hi  

That's definitely frustrating! We'll see if we can offer any advice for you in this situation, but you might need to check in with customer support again. Just a few questions to start - does this affect a wired connection or just WiFi? When the connection drops, do you notice if the lights on the front of the modem change or shut off? 

0 Kudos

jhasselm
Grasshopper

Thanks for checking in. Wired and wireless are affected. Blue lights are solid, green lights flash. Support is replacing it with Blue Curve. Hopefully that helps. 

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

jhasselm it may be a signal related issue if multiple different modems have the same issues. Definitely try out the new BlueCurve modem to see if that helps. If it continues to be an issue, your best bet is to contact our technical support member to schedule a technician over to investigate/fix on site.

0 Kudos

johnnyfive55
Grasshopper

My Hitron is notorious for having bouts where it repeatedly disconnecting and reconnecting the 2.4GHz band over the years.  The 5GHz band was very stable... until recently. Previously used a DLink for a while and it had no such issue. Had to switch back to Hitron as per Shaw recommendation subsequently as I had issues with internet dropping (not Wi-Fi).  Are there design flaws / issues with Hitrons? I've had 3 modems, dropping internet resolved, dropping Wi-Fi isn't.

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

Hey johnnyfive55,

I can understand that is very frustrating. There may be several reasons why your WiFi is disconnecting such as WiFi Interference or poor signal from the wall outlet to your modem. I personally have the Hitron modem at home and haven't had any issues with the WiFi or direct ethernet connection nor am aware of any defects. As for your random internet drops, it definitely should be related to the signal since you have tried different modems. I'd recommend touching base with our technical support team members to further investigate with your and schedule a technician visit to improve any poor signal connections.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

garryk
Grasshopper

Hi   I had the same problem. Changing channels did not help and 5G dropped every few days. I bought a good router, put the Hitron in pass through, and called Shaw service. I have been up and running for 6 weeks now without a hitch.

0 Kudos

johnnyfive55
Grasshopper

Hi Tony, 

I'm in a condo and everyone's got Shaw Wi-Fi. I've scanned both bands picking a opening in the channel line-up and locking it down.  Tired of the domino / ping pong effect from everyone else when on AUTO as everyone's on the same 2.4 GHz band pushing out high power unnecessarily.

I've had techs over previously swapping out Hitron's even though they found nothing wrong. IMHO, I think it's a Hitron thing as I've heard others had better success with their higher quality personal routers. Besides, being random it's likely not signal strength at my end, maybe to the area, but that would be a Shaw problem I would think?

Would be nice if there were products other than Hitron.

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

we certainly have other modems available such as the BlueCurve Gateway. Drop by your local retailer to do a swap, you can reference them our conversation here if required.

0 Kudos

Hi Tony, thanks for getting back to me. The other issue I...

johnnyfive55
Grasshopper

Hi Tony, thanks for getting back to me.

The other issue I've constantly experienced with all 3  of the Hitron's I had was reported in another thread and that is it's inability to consistently and accurately obtain Host Names.  With no changes to the network, a device can come up as "Unknown" sometimes, then duplicate another device's name or names can be mixed up. Happens all the time. I don't read the forums to know if others have this issue, but it's safe to assume since I've seen this on all 3 Hitrons, that other are experiencing this too. Another poor reflection on the products quality and reason to screen product selections in the future.

I'll drop by to a retailer, but how do I reference this conversation, can you generate a reference number?

Thanks in advance for your time and effort!

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help