Jump to solution

What (current) Shaw Internet/Bandwidth packages does the Cisco DPC3825 support (as of April 2019)?

photoguy
Grasshopper

I have a Shaw Cisco DPC3825 running DOCSIS 3.0.. couple related questions...

1) Does this internet modem support any speeds/shaw-plans above Internet 75?

2) Does the Cisco DPC3825 support either of the Internet 300/600 plans? (even if it can't run but 300, but can get, example 200).

Reason for asking, own my DPC3825 - trying to identify what options I have with the equipment I currently own/have before looking at selling the equipment and/or upgrading to new Hitron or Arris.

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Re: What (current) Shaw Internet/Bandwidth packages does the Cisco DPC3825 support (as of April 2019)?

shaw-tony

Hey photoguy,

Thank you for reaching out! The DPC3825 modem will only support speeds up to Internet 75. To be able to enjoy Internet 300/600 plans, you will need the Shaw BlueCurve Gateway. On our 2-year value plans, the modems are all free of rental charges for the duration of the value plan. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Jump to solution

Re: What (current) Shaw Internet/Bandwidth packages does the Cisco DPC3825 support (as of April 2019)?

Not applicable

I'm pretty sure I know the answers to those. 

1) Yes and no. This modem WOULD have worked on the 150 plan. But that doesn't exist anymore.

2) No. It won't work with the 300. I recall this being the modem they used with the old 250 plan was around, but that is also long gone. I would doubt that they would allow this modem to be used for 300 since it would never see those speeds. 

Jump to solution

shaw-tony

Hey photoguy,

Thank you for reaching out! The DPC3825 modem will only support speeds up to Internet 75. To be able to enjoy Internet 300/600 plans, you will need the Shaw BlueCurve Gateway. On our 2-year value plans, the modems are all free of rental charges for the duration of the value plan. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

Jump to solution

photoguy
Grasshopper

Thanks for the follow up information, this is helpful!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

allanbay2
Grasshopper

The DPC3825 is suppose to support wireless speeds up to 300 Mbps.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hi Tony, I have an old DPC 3825.  Doing a reno next year...

SoupySales
Grasshopper

Hi Tony,

I have an old DPC 3825.  Doing a reno next year and going to upgrade modem (& home automation stuff then).  In the 6 month interim, wouldn’t mind increasing internet speed above 75 (without having to swap out modem).  Cisco spec sheets for the 3825 says download speeds of up to 340 Mbps.  That’s more than 75 previously mentioned.  Is there a discrepancy?  Thanks in advance.

Soupy

https://www.multicominc.com/wp-content/uploads/Cisco-–-DPC3825.pdf

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

--  Hi Tony, Tony is "retired" from being a moderator on...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@SoupySales --  Hi Tony,

Tony is "retired" from being a moderator on this discussion forum.

I have an old DPC 3825.  Doing a reno next year and going to upgrade modem (& home automation stuff then).  In the 6 month interim, wouldn’t mind increasing internet speed above 75 (without having to swap out modem).  

That is a very-old modem.  The Shaw document for it mentions "Windows 2000" and "Mac OS 7.5" as being compatible.

It was superseded by the Hitron cable-modem/router (up to 300 Mbps download, and 15 Mbps upload).

The Hitron was superseded by the XB6 BlueCurve cable-modem/router, with up to 100 Mbps for uploads.

The XB6 (noisy fan, and only 2 Ethernet ports) is being superseded by the (quiet & 4-port) XB7 cable-modem.

All brand-new customers of Shaw Internet are offered the XB7 and a minimum of 500 Mbps (download) and 100 Mbps (upload).

So, I think that it is time to "retire" your current device, and take a few steps "forward".

The XB7 is supposed to provide the strongest WiFi signal within your home. That's a good reason to upgrade.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hey thanks for the reply.  Much appreciated.   I should’v...

SoupySales
Grasshopper

Hey thanks for the reply.  Much appreciated.

I should’ve mentioned this in my originating post: I use the 3825 modem in bridge mode.  I have a fancy newer Netgear router that does WiFi just fine.

Oh of course the modem needs to be eventually replaced.  My preference is to replace the modem after a major reno and to use the 3825 for the next few months but, if possible, with a bit more download speed.  

So that (& Cisco’s own DPC 3825 spec sheet re download speeds in excess of 340 Mbps) are what brought me to my original question: can the DPC 3825 manage a faster Shaw plan e.g. the Shaw plan Fibre+ 300 plan?

Thank you in advance!

Soupy
0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- can the DPC 3825 manage a faster Shaw plan e.g. the Sh...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@SoupySales -- can the DPC 3825 manage a faster Shaw plan e.g. the Shaw plan Fibre+ 300 plan?

This is a peer-to-peer discussion forum. I think that you will need to directly contact Shaw Support to get an authoritative answer.

Why not just ask Shaw to replace your current cable-modem, with a Hitron (I am guessing that such devices are still available) ?  If your current device "dies", Shaw will automatically replace it, maybe with a Hitron, or maybe with with the XB6 BlueCurve, at no cost to you.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help