Shaw webmail does not support browsers on Linux

drone201904
Grasshopper

Today I attempted to log into webmail.shaw.ca using the both the latest Firefox and latest Chromium on Linux. In bot cases, after entering my login details and clicking "Sign In," the Sign In button went grey for a few seconds, then returned to its blue background without logging me in.

A subsequent attempt to log in using MS Edge on Windows succeeded, so I know the username/password combination is good.

Shaw Live Chat said "Linux is an unsupported platform." I do not accept this. The "platform" is the WEB; browsers are a tool for accessing content on the web. It should not matter that the browser, especially well-supported and standards compliant browsers such as Firefox and Chromium, is running on Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, or Plan 9. They should Just Work. I can log in to dozens of sites, including eBay, Amazon, Proton Mail, cbc.ca/ctv.ca, SourceForge, GitHub, and LinkedIn using Linux. Shaw should be no different.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
2 Replies

I also have this issue. I am unable to choose the recordi...

TJ7
Grasshopper

I also have this issue. I am unable to choose the recording format on my Canuck games. Today it recorded the 4k channel even though I do not have a 4k tv. Looking at future scheduled recordings I see the 4k channel always used and the regular HD channel is not recorded leaving me unable to view my recorded games. First of all, why is there no option to choose regular HD versus 4K ultra HD when setting up recordings?? That is a bug!

second, when trying to access content on the blue curve website Iโ€™m told that my โ€œsystem isnโ€™t compatible with BlueCurve TVโ€โ€

Come in Shaw jump into the 21st century. Linux is not some cryptic, nerdy OS, it is a modern, secure platform that has the well-respected Firefox browser, the same one used on windows, so your claim of โ€œunsupportedโ€ is a pure FAILURE on SHAWโ€™s BlueCurve PVR service. Hire some folks from Amazon Prime. They have zero problems supporting 4k over the wen to my ff browser for years now I have had 4k content accessible via their website on my Linux OS Firefox browser that I have watched on my 4K capable desktop monitor.

im sure you realize your main competition, Telus has better 4K support and a โ€œsmarterโ€ remote that can exclude 4k recording when setting up a recording. Prices are comparable. Little annoyances like this are what spurns otherwise satisfied customers to look elsewhere. I am not looking at Telus service as a possible option for a more headache free experience.

0 Kudos

You will have to manually set the recording on a non 4K c...

rstra
Grand Master

@TJ7   You will have to manually set the recording on a non 4K channel.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help