Random Ping Spikes and Packet Loss late at night?

nbyuoaman
Grasshopper

Over the last few weeks, I've noticed a lot of random ping spikes and some occasional packet loss between the hours of about 11 PM to 4 AM. This, in particular, affects Discord on my desktop PC (connected via ethernet) and my Android phone (Wi-Fi obviously), it also affects my Nintendo Switch's connection in general. I have an XB6 Arris gateway and up until now haven't had any major issues with it. Attached are the results of a trace route and a continuous ping via command prompt. 

Likely unrelated but I found in the event logs a couple of hours repeating daily at the same time, but I thought I'd mention them.

ti_dhcp6c[9450]: 72001011-DHCPv6 - Missing Required Option 82
2019/5/03 10:20:12 Critical

ti_dhcp6c[9450]: 72001011-DHCPv6 - Missing Required Option 24
2019/5/03 10:20:12 Critical

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Random Ping Spikes and Packet Loss late at night?

shaw-tony

Hey nbyuoaman,

Thank you for reaching out! There may be several reasons why you are noticing packet loss. It may be a poor signal with the coax cable connection from the wall outlet to the modem or some loose connection in between. Generally, with the number of packets you sent, a 2% loss is acceptable. What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

Keep me posted,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

Same Issue, Definitely on Your End

ERoscow
Grasshopper

I keep on getting the internet dropping out and latency spikes late at night. To even imply this is on the customers end is almost insulting. I have a very high end router setup and most of my devices are connected via ethernet. To get 144 ping on a speed test at this time of night is unacceptable especially considering I have the Fibre+ Gig plan. You guys need to own up to whatever the issue is and fix it otherwise you will lose customers.

Edit: Also, these ping spikes or dropouts only last a few minutes but that's more than enough to kill any online game you're playing.

0 Kudos

-- same issue Please read the previous post by  on ‎2019-...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ERoscow -- same issue

Please read the previous post by @shaw-tony on ‎2019-05-06 at 02:08 PM, for his advice.

I recommend that you make official contact with Shaw (currently, online chat is given priority over telephone) and get them to trouble-shoot, including remotely logging-in to your cable-modem, to check its statistics, including "signal strength" reaching your cable-modem.

Also, note that Shaw has "scheduled outages" between 1 AM and 6 AM (Calgary) in various regions. Check out that web-page.

TALK TO US
We're here to help