What happened to the internet? No one at Shaw seems to know...

yodamoo
Grasshopper

I would love it if a higher up Shaw tech could reply to this issue.  This is an issue that seems to be happening in many places to many people and only started within the last few months for many of us.

What changed?  What did Shaw do on its end that has caused this?  Just like many other people, my issue usually only happens at certain times(for me it is usually after 10pm and goes until after 4am) and during this time I am very limited on what I can do online.  Uncharacteristically, it is happening to me right now at 3:30pm and has been for a few hours.  When the issue is not happening my internet is amazing and fast and perfect, but during these times it is garbage.

I have a new Modem, have had a tech come change out everything here and the rep on the phone sees no issues at all...I should be running full speed!  Instead, my ping is 9(which is fine) but my Download is 17.02 and my Upload is 1.42...I am on the Internet 600.  Completely unusable for my purposes since I need at least 6kbps for my upload as I am a Twitch.tv streamer.

I have an appointment with Telus to come on Thursday to switch over to using them and will be cutting off Shaw the day after.  I do not want to do this but it is impossible to get a hold of anyone at Shaw who knows what they are talking about.  The "tech support" people don't know anything and can only do the basic trouble shooting over and over and keep sending techs which take a week or more to come and are very hard for me to schedule with my work.

If there is no way to talk to someone higher up in the tech department, who actually knows how things really work, then I have no choice but to go to Telus. 

2 Replies

Re: What happened to the internet? No one at Shaw seems to know...

Not applicable

A few questions:

- How are you connected when running the speedtest?

- If this is wireless, what speed do you get wired?

- If wired, what is the network setup? Direct to modem or do you have your own router?

- If using a 3rd party router, what speed wired direct to the modem?

- If wired, have you tested another device wired to the modem?

0 Kudos

Re: What happened to the internet? No one at Shaw seems to know...

yodamoo
Grasshopper

I am using a wired connection directly from the modem and I have tested it on a few devices all of which have the same problem. During the good times the internet runs beautifully at around 600 with slight variations for download and I believe it's around 15 for upload. However when the issue kicks in at night time it's still stays pretty consistently High but due to whatever the issue is with the internet, it fluctuates quite a bit. The internet never actually goes completely out and I only rarely actually lose connection fully on applications but it is incredibly unstable and I have many dropped frames thanks to the unstable upload while streaming my gameplay to twitch.tv which makes my stream entirely on the viewable by people.

I will also add, the issue I was having yesterday at 3:30 p.m. was entirely unrelated... It was due to account changes made when I had called in that were not supposed to be made at the time. I knew that was a strange anomaly but the night time issue persists. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help