Uninstall McAfee

john_nicholson
Grasshopper

I have been having pop ups recently saying that McAfee has expired. This just started and the computer is several years old, so the usual answer that the cause ir remnants or a preinstalled trial version is at fault is questionable.

I did try to uninstall McAfee, (windows 10) however when I clicked on McAfee in Programs and Features, it said it was a Microsoft Windows program, rather than a McAfee program, and the choice was uninstall/change, which when clicked did not uninstall.

Has anyone run into this problem?

Labels (1)
6 Replies

Re: Uninstall McAfee

allanbay2
Grasshopper

Use the Mcafee Removal Tool.

You might have to run it in Safe Mode if it won't work running Windows normally.

0 Kudos

Re: Uninstall McAfee

mbir
Grasshopper

While the first reply seems to point at the right component, I would usually focus on McAfee Support site

How to remove McAfee products from a PC running Windows

It includes links to how to remove on other operating systems as well.

0 Kudos

I was going nuts trying to resolve this. My computer is n...

Gilez
Grasshopper

I was going nuts trying to resolve this. My computer is new, and it comes with McAfee installed, I fully uninstalled it, but was getting the same message as you after using the Shaw version for a couple of months, 3 I think. Non of the solutions seemed to be a solution to me, because the error is not in McAfee, I tripple checked that, the expiring soon and renew is in Windows Security center. I found nothing in the actual McAfee app, and nothing in windows security that would fix it. BUT THEN, I realized there should be a menu if you right click the McAfee shield on the task bar. Sure enough there was an option to verify subscription, which I did, then rebooted, problem is now solved. 

0 Kudos

-- expiring soon and renew is in Windows Security center...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Gilez -- expiring soon and renew is in Windows Security center

That makes sense, because some anti-virus programs "cooperate" with the Windows Security Centre, e.g., to report "I am an anti-virus product", and "I am installed" and "I am updating regularly" and "the license to use me is currently valid".  With this information, the Windows Security Centre reports "all is well; nothing to worry about; there is nothing to see here -- just move on".

0 Kudos

So, do you have to do anything... I just got this and wan...

HLTomalty
Grasshopper

So, do you have to do anything... I just got this and want to avoid the uninstall and reinstall process

0 Kudos

-- want to avoid the uninstall and reinstall process Why...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@HLTomalty -- want to avoid the uninstall and reinstall process

Why are you trying to avoid it?

Your new computer probably had the "full" version, but time-limited, installed, not the "free" version available to Shaw customers.

just download and reinstall McAfee, "on top of" the current installation.

That either will eliminate the error-message, or will make it more likely that the "uninstall" process will be successful.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help