BlueCurve Pods Ethernet Port

jcloutier52
Grasshopper

Questions regarding BlueCurve Pods. 

In the Pods spec sheets on Shaw’s website, it shows pods equipped with Ethernet port. Is this Ethernet port backhaul to router enabled ( using Ethernet cable to communicate rather than wifi )

Labels (2)
21 Replies

Re: BlueCurve Pods Ethernet Port

shaw-chris_s
Shaw Squad

Hey jcloutier52‌,

I actually do this in my home.  The Ethernet port on the Pods can be used to connect a device to it via Ethernet such that the connection relays via the Pod's WiFi:

Internet --Cable--> Modem --WiFi--> Pod --Ethernet--> Device

It's worked well for me so far! 

jcloutier52
Grasshopper

What your describing is his a Ethernet over wifi bridge. What I’m asking is if the pods can be setup to use Ethernet port for backhaul. 

Internet - cable modem -

Wifi - device

OR

Ethernet - Pods - device 

Almost all mesh systems i have looked at that have ethernet ports on there remote wifi expanders will allow user to setup the Ethernet backhaul reducing the wifi congestion from repeating wifi traffic.   

shaw-chris_s
Shaw Squad

jcloutier52‌, the Ethernet-over-WiFi bridge is the only supported configuration for these pods so far as I'm aware.  I've neither tested nor know the specific behaviour if connecting Ethernet from the modem to the Pod but would not expect it to function correctly based on the specs.

0 Kudos

Would love to know this exact thing as well.  But likely...

Saintilion
Grasshopper

Would love to know this exact thing as well.  But likely won’t be able to do this. Which is sadly unfortunate.

0 Kudos

-- But likely won’t be able to do this Why not?  Please g...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Saintilion -- But likely won’t be able to do this

Why not?  Please give details.

If you run an "CAT 6" Ethernet cable from your cable-modem into the desired room, you could connect the cable to the WAN port on a third-party WiFi-capable router, and have your own wired/wireless network in that room -- full-strength WiFi within the room, and multiple 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports for a LAN in that room.

Yes that is very true with a third party item.  But I’m n...

Saintilion
Grasshopper

Yes that is very true with a third party item.  But I’m not sure if this specific Shaw pod is capable of it.  If anyone knows... let us know.   

0 Kudos

-- Shaw's "About" web-page for the pods does not state an...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Saintilion -- Shaw's "About" web-page for the pods does not state anything about the "back-haul" functionality that you want. It states that the pods communicate wirelessly to the BlueCurve.

The two (on the newer model) Ethernet ports are designed to allow you to connect two computers, or two third-party routers, or one of each.

Agreed.  I’m sure it is limited to just that and does not...

Saintilion
Grasshopper

Agreed.  I’m sure it is limited to just that and does not act like a regular third party router with the functionality of plugging into a WAN port and provide wireless from that point.  Would be ideal but not possible with these current versions. 

0 Kudos

It is May 2021 and I have the same question.  I have an e...

billfern
Grasshopper

It is May 2021 and I have the same question.  I have an ethernet cable running the length of the house which would be ideal for this.  I had chained a Nighthawk Router to the Hitron router supplied by Shaw and it worked without a glitch for about three years.  I saw the Shaw ads for the new system, and was getting itchy feet to upgrade.  The decision came the other day when a Shaw update came through and undid the modem chain set up.  Rather than try to reset everything, I just decided to opt for this new system.  Now that I was stuck with only the Hitron signal which doesn't make it to many places in my house, the decision was a quick one.  I will set it up tomorrow, can't do it until after a zoom meeting then.  I had been told by Shaw that the BlueCurve modem would not support pass through like the Hitron does, and which you need to use chained modems.  In fact I kind of remember seeing that on some of the technical information on the website.  So far two people I know have this system and are pleased with it.  I will report back.

TALK TO US
We're here to help