IP Passthrough or Bridge Mode?

rvthereyet
Grasshopper

Just wondering why I would choose one or the other ... the advantages and disadvantages of each? 

I currently have IP Passthrough enabled on my Hitorn through a port (as opposed to the MAC address) and have connected a Linksys router to that port.

From my own perspective, I like that I can enable/disable IP Passthrough myself (if I ever want to to do that) by going into the router settings, whereas for Bridge Mode I have to contact Shaw (and there can be long wait-times for chat or phone support).

I know in IP Passthrough the Hitron wifi signals stay active and in Bridge Mode they are turned off (I like the idea of having the additional wifi network to use, for guests as an example).

Other than that, why would I choose one or the other ... Is one "better" than the other, and why? Does one provide higher speeds to my router? Are there any internet security risks from one to the next? 

Thanks for any insights you can provide  

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: IP Passthrough or Bridge Mode?

shaw-tony

Hey rvthereyet,

It really depends on your needs. Personally, I have used both types of setups. With a bridged modem with two routers, you will have full control on settings through the two 3rd party routers (the two remaining ethernet ports on the Hitron would be disabled).  

As for an IP passthrough, you may run into a "double NAT" issue (a router behind another router) depending on what you are connecting to. To use IP Passthrough, you will need to contact us to enable a secondary IP per the steps here.

Speeds on either set up would be handled through the modem/router (depends on which device it prioritizes) but through a 3rd party router, you could have more control over that. Security should be the same on either set up, it is recommended to have software on your devices to protect them.

Hope that helps,

Tony | Community Mod.

TALK TO US
We're here to help