Jump to solution

Is this "Shaw Reward Program" real or fake?

prjlnw
Grasshopper

Is this "Rewards Program" real? or a sophisticated phishing attack?

I was browsing the MSN news site, when I was involuntarily redirected to a different web page; it said it was a "Shaw Rewards Program". The URL seemed suspicious so I did a screen capture and killed the web browser without clicking on any links. The screen capture is attached for information.

I'm using Mozilla Firefox as the browser and Windows 10 version 1903 as the operating system. I'm using Windows Defender as my malware detector and have a Synology Router with a dynamic firewall; it uses the Google Safe Browsing and Threat Intelligence databases to block potentially malicious packets. So I'm fairly confident that I don't have malicious software on the desktop.

Assuming that the reward program is too good to be true, I suspect that the web page had an ad that triggered the redirect.

Any advice or information about this would be appreciated.

Paul

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Re: Is this "Shaw Reward Program" real or fake?

shaw-tony

Hey prjlnw,

Thank you for bringing this forward, that is not a legitimate program from us. We have additional support here on phishing schemes or scams. You can also report that directly to internet.abuse@sjrb.ca.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Jump to solution

shaw-tony

Hey prjlnw,

Thank you for bringing this forward, that is not a legitimate program from us. We have additional support here on phishing schemes or scams. You can also report that directly to internet.abuse@sjrb.ca.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod. 

Jump to solution

prjlnw
Grasshopper

Hi Tony,

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I'll report the web page to internet abuse.

Any ideas on how the phisher managed the redirect from MSN.ca? I suppose I should report the issue to MSN if some of their advertising has been hijacked.

Paul

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

shaw-tony

prjlnw It may be the issue you've explained. Reporting it to both would be great 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Note that the URL in the "address-bar" contains 'ca-win.com' domain-name, and it shows your IP-address, and it shows "http:", not "https" (secure-HTTP protocol).  These are hints that the web-site is not owned by Shaw.

Also, the "Outlook" tab in your web-browser shows your own name.

Please be careful when doing a "screen-capture", in order to exclude personal information.

Yes, scammers can purchase ads on any web-site (MSN, Google, Bing, Yahoo) that cause a malicious "redirect" when the ad is chosen for injection into the web-page.

Check your web-browsing history for the URL that was the target of that "redirect", and report that URL, too.

TALK TO US
We're here to help