Jump to solution

What's wrong with the 'www.shawbusiness.ca' web-site?

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

When I load www.shawbusiness.ca', I get a "certificate error" ("certificate issued for a different web-site").

I am advised to close the web-browser (Internet Explorer under Windows 8.1).

Under Windows 7, I need to choose "disregard" to continue to the web-site.

P.S. After the "disregard", the web-page loads, but many hyperlinks on that page do not work -- I get various '404' messages.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Re: What's wrong with the 'www.shawbusiness.ca' web-site?

shaw-tony

mdk can you try this on Google Chrome or Firefox so we can rule out any browser-related issues? Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jump to solution

shaw-tony

Hey mdk,

That is super odd to get those error messages. Do you notice this on multiple different devices or just the two? Have you tried using different browsers such as Chrome or Firefox to see if the issue persists?

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Do you notice this on multiple different devices or just the two?

I tried 3 very-different computers, using Internet Explorer each time:

* the Windows 10 Home system is a Thinkpad laptop;

* the Windows 8.1 Pro system is an HP laptop;

* the Windows 7 Professional system is a desktop computer.

>>> The security certificate presented by this website was issued for a different website's address.

When viewing the security certificate, it was issued for the 'shaw.ca' domain, not the 'shawbusiness.ca' domain. 

That is what the web-browser is reporting, for all 3 computers.

> Have you tried using different browsers such as Chrome or Firefox to see if the issue persists?

No, but certificates are certificates -- all web-browsers should "flag" a non-matching certificate.  Correct?

To *NOT* flag would be a security-hole that computer-hackers could exploit, by "spoofing" a bank's website.

Another example:  https://www.shaw-business.ca

Similarly, the certificate presented is for 'Akamai.net', not for 'shaw-business.ca'.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

shaw-tony

do you have a 3rd party router connect to the Shaw modem or special settings like a VPN set up? Are you able to test on a mobile device (on 4G/LTE) to see if the same certificate problem show sup?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> do you have a 3rd party router connect to the Shaw modem?

No.  I use the built-in wireless and 3 of the LAN ports on the Hitron modem.

The router should be doing "NAT" (Network Address Translation), but it should not be inspecting/modifying any of the HTTP(s) traffic.  Correct?

> or special settings like a VPN setup?

No.

> Are you able to test on a mobile device (on 4G/LTE) to see if the same certificate problem shows up?

No.  I don't have the necessary hardware nor a service-contract with a cell-phone provider.

Isn't this a case of the web-browser (on the device) receiving the Security Certificate from the web-server, and then notifying me that the domain-name in the URL -- "shawbusiness.ca" -- does not match the domain-name cited inside the Security Certificate?

I presume that *ALL* properly-programmed web-browsers will notify the user whenever a mismatch is detected.

If not, then "spoofing" of any bank's web-server would be dead-simple, and would make it dead-easy to capture the user's banking-ID and banking-password, or GMAIL ID/password, or Facebook ID/password, or ...... 

Ouch!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

shaw-tony

mdk can you try this on Google Chrome or Firefox so we can rule out any browser-related issues? Thanks.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help