AnsweredAssumed Answered

Basic cable vs Personal TV

Question asked by bhu on Mar 10, 2013
Latest reply on Mar 11, 2013 by kevinds

My neighborhood in South Surrey has recently undergone the DNU. I received several mailings over the previous months from Shaw clearly indicating that I would have to purchase a Shaw digital box if I wanted to continue receiving channels above the basic range of analog channels. Several phone calls from Shaw informing me of the upcoming DNU also informed me I would have to purchase a digital box. I decided not to buy the digital box, I dropped my subscription to the old analog Tiers 1 and 2 since they would no longer be available without a digital box anyway, and though that I'd just make do with the 20 or so remaining SD analog channels provided by my $42/month subscription for "Basic Cable".

I just realized that I could pay less per month ($35) by purchasing a Shaw digital box and subscribing to the "Personal TV package" - which would provide me with 41 SD channels and 20 HD channels.

My question - why is "Basic Cable" more expensive than "Personal TV", when "Basic Cable" provides fewer SD channels and no HD channels?

Outcomes