AnsweredAssumed Answered

Signal problems with my Shaw Cable, but just with certain channels?

Question asked by sigprob on Mar 13, 2013
Latest reply on Mar 25, 2013 by [shaw]jeff

I need help from the helpful, knowledgeable people on this forum, before I pull the plug on my Shaw subscription. Perhaps one of you folks can help me out. Let me preface this by saying that I have the most expensive Shaw Cable package you can buy, so I get almost every channel.  I also have a dual channel PVR, which has never given me a day of grief until this past month.  I suspect it needs a firmware upgrade, but they don’t push them to these units any longer (likely to push you to buy a new model device which has the same functionality as this PVR, but I digress). For the past month, I have been trying to watch shows such as 260 and other upper channels, but when watching shows on these upper channels, or even taping shows on the upper channels, the screen freezes for 5-10 minutes, and if I switch the station to see if it will "snap back into shape", I notice half of the other upper channels have the same "Signal" issue message that appears. When it does finally decide to resume, it only does so for 5 or so minutes, then it's back to freeze state. In an hour long program, this happens for about 30 minutes of the show, which makes any watching of my expensive upper channels completely useless. I called the Shaw technical support line, and they said to unplug the Motorola PVR, then wait for 10 mins then plug it back in. Low and behold, when I did that, a new color of background turned up on my PVR Menu - My Recordings screen, (not sure if that means they pushed something to my machine), which worked for all of one night. It went right back to being completely useless to watch upper stations.  The thing I’m struggling with is how can it be my device’s issue when it’s just a problem with the upper channels and not the lower ones?  I’m thinking if I can’t get this fixed pronto – I’m switching to either Telus or going to Sat. TV, because this is just stupid.  I’m not going to pay another $600-700 bucks for a new PVR when the new ones give you no new options to them...it’s just a different model number – I’d rather try Sat. TV in that case.  I don’t want to have to switch providers, so I’m hoping someone on this forum can tell me why some of the channels are fine, especially the lower channels, and half of the upper channels are cutting out at a disturbingly often rate. As I know they usual BS they try to pull with the “it’s your cables”, I have three sets of cables that I’ve now switched out and yet still the problem persists so I have a hard time troubleshooting a fix on my own.  Help!!

Outcomes