AnsweredAssumed Answered

Server rejects my login!

Question asked by j_turvey on Mar 20, 2013
Latest reply on Mar 20, 2013 by kevinds

I've been having this ongoing problem with Shaw for over a year now. I haven't been able to send emails, but I can receive them. I ended up getting a Telus account that works fine on the same Outlook that Shaw refuses to work on, but still have my Shaw account for the time being. Today I got stubborn about trying to find out what is wrong and fix it. So far Shaw seems to be stubborner.

Basically, I have set everything up plain vanilla up to the the Advanced Tab on Internet Email Settings. Sending works ok on 110, no encryption. If I set outgoing server to 25 and no encryption, the outgoing test message doesn't even reach the mail.shaw.ca server.

"Send test e-mail message: Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)."

If I use port 587 with no encryption, I can reach the server, but it rejects my password, even though I have marked that yes, my outgoing server requires authentication and yes, use the same as my incoming server. By the time I get tired of punching in my password n times, I get the error message...

"Send test e-mail message: Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password in your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail accounts."

I'm using Outlook 2007, SP3. Like I say, I can receive, but haven't been able to send anything on my Shaw account for over a year, but Telus has no problem. I think I've been to every Shaw Login help site and tried every configuration...and, oh, yes, I can log into webmail and send from there no problem. It seems to be a Shaw SMTP server problem at mail.shaw.ca. It's as if the server is unable to synchronize passwords with the POP server.

Anyway, any help or comments would be appreciated. I'm out of stubborness now, this clunky old Shaw system has got the best of me...maybe it's time...

John

Outcomes