AnsweredAssumed Answered

CISCO modem in bridged mode? Weirdness after Home Phone install!

Question asked by stagestruck on Mar 25, 2013
Latest reply on Mar 25, 2013 by shaw-colin

I've been having problems with my internet ever since Shaw came and installed an additional modem for Home Phone about a week ago.

When I got the HS50 plan they gave me the Cisco modem, and I went through the process of getting it bridged so that I could continue to use my existing wireless router that is more configurable and has better range. All was well for more than a year...

But after they installed the phone modem last week, I noticed that the ip addresses of the computers on my network had all changed - from being 192.168.1.* to 10.0.0.*

Later in the day, I lost my internet connection. I spent an hour on the phone with technical support who just seemed to reset my modem remotely and I got my connection back... for another hour and then the connection dropped again. Back to technical support who (I think) added another IP address to the modem, reset it, and after that it worked again.

Weird problems persisted all week and I noticed I couldn't open any of my ports either via UPnP or manually port forward.

I then found I could log in to the Cisco modem and turn wireless on and configure it, so I removed my router from the network and I can now open my ports, my intermittent connectivity has cleared up and all is well again.

But now I can't use my own router, which I still prefer to the CISCO for the same reasons: the wireless range is better and it's infinitely more configurable. Which brings me back to my original question - how do I tell if the CISCO is in bridged mode, because I don't think it is, and not being in that mode screws with the other router and causes various other problems.

Outcomes