AnsweredAssumed Answered

Inconsistent Download Speeds on Broadband 50

Question asked by eungsookim on Mar 25, 2013
Latest reply on Apr 1, 2013 by [shaw]tegan

Yesterday, I noticed that my BB 50 down speeds were significantly slower than advertised.  Did a quick check at speedtest.net and was getting download speeds of less than 10Mbps.  Called Shaw's tech support number and spent 2 hours on the phone and did not come to a conclusion.  My computer is wired directly to the modem and we tested my connection with speedtest.net, speedtest.shaw.ca, and a few other sites with no luck.

Shaw's site gave pretty consistent speeds at 44-48 Mbps but all other sites ranged from 5Mbps to the highest at 20Mbps. We even tried the Cranbrook server as it is "supposedly" one of the first that was setup to maintain the Broadband 50 speeds and while his computer received downloads at mid-30s, mine lagged at less than 5Mbps.

I see that recently a lot of other people have started conversations regarding this topic and it doesn't seem isolated.  Speeds up to January of this year were good but recently it was dropped off significantly.  Does this have anything to do with the upgrade in my area to digital?  It seems consistent to the dates of the upgrade in the Burnaby area.

Outcomes