Will these new HD Channels be available to us Shaw Direct Satellite users? We always seem to be so far behind you Shaw Cable users.
Bring us up to speed also. Have been waiting for a long time for the new Oasis Channels in HD.
Hello kokiem. We're not entirely sure of the exact channels that will be added at this point, but once we launch our new satellite, we are planning the largest single launch of HD channels in Canadian history. We'll let you know more as soon as we have details!
So is this planned "largest single launch of HD channels in Canadian history" a Shaw Cable and Shaw Direct plan? What is the time frame? With the lack of HD compared to competitors, it would be good to get some firm information and dates. Many of us are tired of waiting and are seriously looking at alternative options.
Hi jaxon60. As I understand, Shaw Cable and Shaw Direct will be receiving the same channels, however I can only speak officially on Shaw Direct. By the time everything is up and operational, we will have the most HD channels of any provider in Canada. The launch is scheduled for April 16. After the satellite has locked into geosynchronous orbit and the satellite is fully operational, Telesat will run a series of tests, and then hand control over to us. At that time, we'll be able to start moving channels onto the satellite, and will then be able to officially launch them. I do apologise that we're being a bit vague, but final details are being worked out, and as I'm sure you can appreciate, a lot of work will have to go into the launch of a satellite.
Remind Telesat not to point this one at the Sun after it becomes operational eh? haha
Thanks for all this information, [shaw]rory. I am feeling much more optimistic that some good news is indeed imminent and will have been worth the wait. Glad you included Shaw Cable in your last post.
For what it's worth, there are several things I'd like to comment on with respect to this announcement.
1. Shaw's announcements are ALWAYS vague and evasive. This is a pattern. There are always lots of pieces of the puzzle missing, some details to finalize, some testing to do and some quirks or bugs to iron out.
2. If the launch of this satellite is less than 2 weeks away, there is NO WAY Shaw doesn't know what channels are being looked at. I know this because every time I ask Shaw or read about new HD channels, I'm constantly reminded that negotiations and agreements take months to reach.
3. Why does Shaw feel the need to tell us that this will be the largest HD launch in Canadian history? Nobody cares if this beats what Bell or Telus might have launched 3 or 4 or 7 years ago. We just want channels to be added progressively, at a reasonable rate. We don't want to get hit with 2 rate increases while no new channels are announced. How's that?
4. If there is indeed something happening, why is it being announced here, but nowhere else? Why not a communiqué on the Shaw.ca front page, a press release to the media, a message on my PVR?
5. Shaw, I will believe it when I see it. I am a 20+ years subscriber. I've been and HD subscriber for close to 9 years. Shaw has been behind on the HD front since the first day I got HD gear. 9 years later, we're still behind. And meanwhile, I've heard every excuse under the sun: lack of content, lack of bandwidth, Digital Network upgrade, network issues, rights and contract negotiations, CRTC interference, you name it.
6. I might be wasting my time writing this, because apparently it's unclear whether Shaw Cable customers will even benefit from this - which is something else that should be quite clear less than two weeks before the launch of a satellite. Surely, there has to be a plan in place on HOW this satellite will be used.
For once, make a REAL announcement: give me a FIRM date. Give me a list of ACTUAL channels. Tell me HOW MUCH now, not at the end of a free preview. And please wake me up when something actually happens. I've been waiting for 9 years. I know better than to get excited about anything Shaw has to say...
I think the firm date for the satellite launch was last summer, so assuming it actually launches this time, then the Shaw people can start making plans and timeframes
I'm not saying that no one knows what the channels will be, but I am saying that the final list will not be released for a bit. Until everything is finalized, we cannot release any details regarding channels. We're not going to promise something unless we know nothing will change.
As for the rest, I'm afraid I cannot speak to this as I'm not a Shaw Cable employee.
So assuming it launches this time, and based on the tired excuse of how long negotiations take, and adding in the time it will take before the satellite is actually handed over to Shaw, and the satellite gets these new channels operational, I see a long, long wait for this "largest single launch of HD channels in Canadian history". Not to mention the fact that a lot of these channels are going to be local stations that the CRTC has mandated that providers must carry, that Shaw Direct has no capability to carry right now. With the amount of time it looks like this will be taking, I don't know if the claim that Shaw will have the most HD channels of any provider will still be valid, at the rate that other providers launch new HD channels.
I must say I agree with plasmanut, to a great extent ! On the surface, this sounds like FANTASTIC news ! However we have NO time frame, NO channel specifics, and NO approximate number of channels to be added, I feel SAFE in assuming that Shaw could have the BIGGEST HD launch in History, and still not be caught up, with other providers ! It`s a GREAT announcement, but as the saying goes I`m from Missouri, SHOW ME !
Retrieving data ...