AnsweredAssumed Answered

Terminology questions about computer PVR

Question asked by killerkoala on Apr 15, 2013
Latest reply on May 14, 2013 by jeff_yyc

Now that Shaw has completed the upgrade to all digital TV, it's time that I upgrade the analog PVR in my home computer. It's been a few years since I've done this and technology changes so fast these days that I need to do a quick catchup. I'm looking at Hauppauge PVRs right now (that's where my original PVR came from) and I'm trying to figure out what I need to record digital cable. These new PVRs say they can record digital ATSC and clear QAM. Can someone help me understand ATSC and clear QAM?

Here's the link for one of the products I'm looking at: http://hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr2250.html

The site says: Note: ATSC digital TV is NOT digital cable TV or digital satellite TV. ATSC is digital "over-the-air" TV.

It says I need an antenna to get reception, does anyone know where I would get one near Hamilton if I was interested?

For QAM it says:

• Clear QAM TV channels are unencrypted digital TV channels broadcast by your local cable operator. Many cable operators in North America are transmitting the high definition ATSC channels on their cable networks. They also broadcast the basic cable channels in using clear QAM.
  • Note: not all cable TV networks send clear QAM channels. Please check with your local cable operator for the availability of clear QAM digital cable TV.

Does Shaw support QAM?

And NTSC is the old analog standard right?

I'm not entirely sure what channels I would get if I bought this PVR unless I set it up and see what happens. Note: I am going to set this up on a new computer running Windows 8 Pro with Windows Media Center.

Outcomes