AnsweredAssumed Answered

Connection cutting out for minutes at a time.

Question asked by buzzard777 on Apr 16, 2013
Latest reply on Apr 18, 2013 by wvt

Every 5-10 minutes or so, I'll experience a complete gap where I have no connection whatsoever. I've had it last from a few seconds to a few minutes. this is bugging me since it happens regardless of the time of day. My area is heavily saturated, but even during the morning when I actually do get the advertised speeds, my connection just shuts off completely. Would this be due to a bad modem? I'm using the wireless modem (DPC3825) supplied by Shaw.

Awkwardly enough, my computer still shows internet access. It doesn't flat out say I have no internet, but my browser stops loading pages and Skype disconnects as well as any other internet-using programs.

On another note, I've already ruled out the fact that it could be wireless; I moved my modem near my computer and connected via ethernet, and it dropped almost immediately after successfully connecting. My internet has come back for the time being.

Edit: It happened again less than 5 minutes ago and lasted quite a while. I'd say about 3 or so minutes this time. During that time my modem seemed to stay the same, no lights changed.

Edit2: It seems to have been doing this less severely, but my connection still has episodes where my ping will spike up to 500 out of nowhere and continue to jitter for a few seconds.

Other info:

Here's some juicy details from the event viewer. This event showed up about 8 times today.

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client/Admin

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client

Date:          4/11/2013 2:29:52 AM

Event ID:      1003

Task Category: Address Configuration State Event

Level:         Warning

Keywords:

User:          LOCAL SERVICE

Computer:      Ryan-PC

Description:

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address 0xFC7516852730.  The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server.

Outcomes