AnsweredAssumed Answered

DNS timeout issues

Question asked by goatfelldown on Apr 27, 2013
Latest reply on Aug 30, 2013 by goatfelldown

Hello,

I’m wondering if anyone else has had this problem?  And if they were able to fix it.

Last summer, we switched from Broadband 50 to Student plan 25 Internet.  Great deal, even at half the speed – and at least it was consistent, speed wise at least.  I don’t remember when the problem actually started but it had to be within a few months of switching over. 

Randomly, usually after a period of inactivity, I will lose the ability to make DNS queries.  I can still ping the DNS server IP addresses (8.8.8.8 for example, Google’s DNS server) but I cannot query ANY name server, to resolve ANY DNS name.  I can browse certain sites via their IP address.  I cannot, however, connect to my workplace VPN via IP address, it also times out (once the DNS issue finally resolves itself, I CAN connect to my workplace VPN via IP).

Doesn’t matter the DNS server I use, from Shaw, to Google, to OpenDNS, I experience the same issue. I’ve even tried creating my own DNS server with BIND, which I was hoping could just start caching the sites I visit most frequently;  eventually the lookups would time out and the forwarding requests would fail after a period of inactivity, same as from my PC. 

My PC and laptop (both Windows 7) definitely experience it most often, but I have experienced a few times from my tablet and iPhone.  Their “always on” connection may not drop after inactivity as much as my PC perhaps? If I switch over to another router (say my neighbour’s Telus connection), I don’t experience the problem – I tested for a few days. 

The problem usually corrects itself within 2, to as long as 10 minutes.  And as long as you are accessing the Internet within every ~90 minutes, it won’t come back.  I usually experience the problem when I’m taking my work laptop out of hibernation mode to log into my VPN, or open a web browser to look something up when I wake up or when I get home from work.

I am, after a certain period of inactivity, simply unable to resolve an IP address from any DNS lookup, using any number of different name servers.

I am a 10+ year veteran in the Wintel system administration field, just to give a level of technical ability.  I have Googled the crap out of the problem and haven’t come up with much.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Outcomes