AnsweredAssumed Answered

Even times out - is there a fix?

Question asked by internaut on May 20, 2013
Latest reply on May 22, 2013 by internaut

This problem has been ongoing for over a year. Sometimes it's good, sometimes bad, mostly OK, but when bad strikes, it really strikes.


My download speeds range between 1.63 Mbps up to highest in three years was 28.47 Mbps

My uploads 0.25 Mbps to highest of 0.91  a long way from the "up to 2.5 Mbps..."


Modem is a Motorola SP 5120


I understand "up to" means anywhere from no connection up to 25 Mbps. However.... my "up to" is usually not even close.


Avoiding the generic cut & paste stuff, I already have dealt with:

  • cache,
  • cookies,
  • history, computer,
  • firewall,
  • anti-virus,
  • cables,
  • connections,
  • location and modem/router/computer reboots (yes - in the right order).


The problem can be duplicated.


Ping results:

Pinging [] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out. and on and on and ....


The usual result from tracert:

Tracing route to []

over a maximum of 30 hops:


  1     3 ms     3 ms     3 ms

  2    11 ms    11 ms    12 ms

  3    16 ms    14 ms    16 ms []

  4    27 ms    31 ms    31 ms

  5    23 ms    24 ms    23 ms []

  6    22 ms    23 ms    24 ms  <----- this was in line 5 yesterday

  7     *        *        *     Request timed out.

  8     *     ^C  and on and on and on...

It was suggested I switch to and use Google's DNS. I'm too young to give the other half of my soul to the devil!


Compared with

Shaw Kelowna's stats Nov 18, 2010 - May 19, 2013: 24.36/3.2


to mine



I hope that when I click 'submit' that it doesn't time out.


Connections are hit and miss with timeouts. Downloads - sure, anything under 35k seems to make it. A plain txt file at 258 K timed out 3 times before it finally made it. FTP 0.4 up and down. But that is sometimes, not constant. Speed is not speed,


This has been tested on 3 computers. One XP, one Vista 32/ and again 64, and Win 7.  No change.


The tests have been done several times a day for the last few weeks. Results are the same.


I've spoken with a super tech (tell the head of HR he should have the rest of the week off with pay)    We did a few things, and at the time most sites timed out, but when they no longer did, we assumed it was fixed, but the problem persists.