tkdragon

To Gateway or not to Gateway...

Discussion created by tkdragon on May 24, 2013
Latest reply on Jun 4, 2013 by mark_vse

I currently have a DCT6416 downstairs and a DCX3400 upstairs. I am the one who is downstairs most and I am constantly running into space issues on the 6416 as well as the fact that I am unable to watch the newest channels that are in MPEG4. I have 3 options... buy an expander (tech is getting old), buy a DCX3510 for downstairs or get a gateway for the entire house.

The big question for those who are using them is... should I change over to the gateway system? There are a lot of things I like about it but I'm still not sure. How do you like the picture quality? The recording/playback features? Are there any game stopper problems with them? If you have a second and wish to praise or pan it, I'd like to hear your experiences.

I live in Winnipeg. Is there anywhere I can look at / play with this system?

I see that it needs an IP address and had wireless. Will this cause a problem with the DPC3825 router I have?

I have a home server taht I stream content from. Will the gateway cause problems there?

I was considering purchasing the gateway and 1 portal from Best Buy and then trading my 6416 in for a second portal. Will they allow me to trade it in if I didn't buy the gateway fro Shaw? The system need to be insalled buy a Shaw tech... If I purchase the system from Best Buy, will they charge me to install it?

Thanks in advance for any input. I'll probably post more questions.

Cheers.

Outcomes