AnsweredAssumed Answered

Poor Performance Since May 17, 2013 (Victoria, BC)

Question asked by moomoot on May 27, 2013
Latest reply on May 28, 2013 by kevinds

Hi

I've had the Shaw Hi-Speed 10 Package for as long as it's been around, and the regular "hi-speed internet" package before then.  My set-up (wireless) has been consistent since August, 2009.

On Friday, May 17, 2013 Shaw's internet service was unavailable in the Victoria area for ~an hour.  When it came back online, my internet performance was very slow.  I chalked it up to the system being recovered, but the poor performance persisted all weekend.  During that week, I called Shaw to investigate the cause.  They had me run a few tests across the wireless network, which found performance to be above-optimal (e.g. 19/mbs downloads for a 10/mbs plan).  I thanked them very much for their time, and, thinking the issue was coincidently resolved with my phone call, hung up.

Since then poor performance has continued to prevent usuability of the internet.  Basic webpages time out attempting to load, or take several minutes to load.  Podcasts load for a while, then stop.  I can't stream over Apple TV anymore (no problems previously) because the shows don't load (they are all listed no problem, they just don't stream when selected).

I've talked to the Shaw rep who had me change my router settings (channels).  I've repeated this step, trying different channels, but it doesn't help.  All I know is that service was as expected prior to Friday, May 17 and ever since service has been prohibitively slow.

I'm at a loss as to how to fix this beyond discussing options with an alternative service provider.  I certainly don't want to spend another hour on the phone trying to get through to a service rep if that's not going to fix the problem.  Anyone have any ideas or have been experiencing similar issues with Shaw's internet performance?

Outcomes