AnsweredAssumed Answered

Above normal latency

Question asked by pumaman on Jun 20, 2013
Latest reply on Jun 21, 2013 by pumaman

Hello all, just registered.

 

Ever since the strange behavior from last night where internet nationwide was affected, I've had above average latency on my connection. Speeds are "ok" but latency is a big problem. Websites are taking longer to load than normal, despite my speeds being ok.

 

For example, I'm able to download from steam at 6.7MB/s which is pretty good for the evening, but the speedtest for shaw reports speeds of only 33.1Mb/s down and 2.42Mb/s up (On the shaw 100 plan).

 

The ping for the shaw speed test is 267ms, which is the highest I've seen in a long time.

 

I also notice pinging google.com and google.ca result in above average ping times (I'm used to seeing them in the 40s or less). Here is the results:

 

Pinging google.com [173.194.33.40] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 173.194.33.40: bytes=32 time=120ms TTL=55

Reply from 173.194.33.40: bytes=32 time=116ms TTL=56

Reply from 173.194.33.40: bytes=32 time=120ms TTL=55

Reply from 173.194.33.40: bytes=32 time=118ms TTL=55

 

 

Ping statistics for 173.194.33.40:

    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

    Minimum = 116ms, Maximum = 120ms, Average = 118ms

 

Pinging google.ca [173.194.33.55] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 173.194.33.55: bytes=32 time=123ms TTL=55

Reply from 173.194.33.55: bytes=32 time=112ms TTL=56

Reply from 173.194.33.55: bytes=32 time=123ms TTL=56

Reply from 173.194.33.55: bytes=32 time=122ms TTL=55

 

 

Ping statistics for 173.194.33.55:

    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

    Minimum = 112ms, Maximum = 123ms, Average = 120ms

 

Also, I performed a tracert to Google and this is what I found:

 

Tracing route to google.com [173.194.33.40]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

 

 

  1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  DD-WRT [192.168.1.1]

  2    30 ms    12 ms    13 ms  70.77.144.1

  3    16 ms    22 ms    21 ms  64.59.169.189

  4    27 ms    16 ms    14 ms  rd1cs-tge2-1.ok.shawcable.net [66.163.77.210]

  5   130 ms   133 ms   129 ms  rc2bb-tge0-1-2-0.vc.shawcable.net [66.163.77.218

]

  6   128 ms   135 ms   128 ms  66.163.78.130

  7   126 ms   122 ms   121 ms  72.14.195.246

  8   124 ms   122 ms   120 ms  66.249.94.214

  9   129 ms   131 ms   130 ms  209.85.253.26

10   141 ms   128 ms   118 ms  sea09s02-in-f8.1e100.net [173.194.33.40]

 

 

Trace complete.

 

Now, it's been a while since I did my N+ test, but I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be seeing that big jump on line 5. I performed a similar test from a Virtual Server I have located in Los Angeles, and these are the results:

 

traceroute to google.com (74.125.239.8), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets

1  host.colocrossing.com (198.23.251.2)  0.029 ms  0.015 ms  0.012 ms

2  67.215.251.213.static.quadranet.com (67.215.251.213)  0.244 ms  0.285 ms  0.344 ms

3  colo-lax6 (96.44.180.33)  0.307 ms  0.369 ms  0.394 ms

4  google.com.any2ix.coresite.com (206.223.143.41)  0.253 ms  0.296 ms  0.281 ms

5  64.233.174.41 (64.233.174.41)  0.306 ms  1.418 ms  0.366 ms

6  216.239.43.148 (216.239.43.148)  1.662 ms  0.975 ms  1.099 ms

7  lax04s09-in-f8.1e100.net (74.125.239.8)  0.336 ms  0.395 ms  0.339 ms

 

Now I realize I'm comparing a home network to an industrial grade network, but those hop times are way faster. I was curious if it was a DNS issue of some kind, so I pinged all three of the shaw DNS servers and found this:

 

Pinging 64.59.168.13 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.59.168.13: bytes=32 time=217ms TTL=57

Reply from 64.59.168.13: bytes=32 time=224ms TTL=57

Reply from 64.59.168.13: bytes=32 time=224ms TTL=57

Reply from 64.59.168.13: bytes=32 time=206ms TTL=57

 

 

Ping statistics for 64.59.168.13:

    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

    Minimum = 206ms, Maximum = 224ms, Average = 217ms

 

Pinging 64.59.168.15 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.59.168.15: bytes=32 time=216ms TTL=57

Reply from 64.59.168.15: bytes=32 time=237ms TTL=57

Reply from 64.59.168.15: bytes=32 time=211ms TTL=57

Reply from 64.59.168.15: bytes=32 time=219ms TTL=57

 

Ping statistics for 64.59.168.15:

    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

    Minimum = 211ms, Maximum = 237ms, Average = 220ms

 

Pinging 64.59.174.84 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.59.174.84: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=61

Reply from 64.59.174.84: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=61

Reply from 64.59.174.84: bytes=32 time=16ms TTL=61

Reply from 64.59.174.84: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=61

 

 

Ping statistics for 64.59.174.84:

    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

    Minimum = 16ms, Maximum = 20ms, Average = 18ms

 

 

 

As you can see, the 3rd DNS server had significantly faster response times from the first two. I haven't set it as my primary DNS yet to test if this is the issue, but I'm wondering if someone from shaw can confirm that my findings are correct and this isn't a problem with my connection before I start tinkering too much.

 

Thanks!

 

 

 

Outcomes