AnsweredAssumed Answered

Periods of High ping ~2 months SW Calgary

Question asked by mgbennet on Jul 28, 2013
Latest reply on Jul 28, 2013 by shaw-colin

For the past 2 months I have been getting periods of high ping, around 900ms, that last around 2-3 minutes sometimes longer. They happen at all times throughout the day.

I have tried doing a factory reset on my router, I have tried changing the channel my router sends out nothing has worked. There are a 3-4 computers on  my network as well as phones and Ipads. Thinking that there was too many signals for the modem to handle we switch from 7.5 mbps to 20mbps to see if that would fix the problem but that hasn't helped either. Shaw has come and installed everything necessary for the internet upgrade but still the problem hasn't been fixed.

Plugging into the modem does help because it kicks everyone else off the network but I don't want to have 1 computer able to use the network only.

I've pinged the router and it responds in under 4ms when pinged so I really have no idea what the problem is.

My family was out of town for a week, and with all their devices gone the problem did seem to get fixed, however, as soon as they returned the lag started again almost immediately. Same thing happened for when I changed the password on the router and all the devices got kicked off.

Outcomes