AnsweredAssumed Answered

Grandfathering

Question asked by verd02 on Aug 2, 2013
Latest reply on Aug 2, 2013 by kevinds

Hi there,

It's my understanding, based on a Shaw Friends concierge chat I had yesterday, that Shaw will be eliminating grandfathered rates on a graduated basis. The rep indicated that it was unsustainable and that all Shaw customers would at the end of the process be paying the same amount for the same services.

I have three questions:

1. Is this accurate?

2. If so, why has this not been broadcast to the customer base? When I say broadcast, I mean stated publicly as a change in account policy.

3. Given that grandfathering constituted a loyalty program in which the benefit of staying on as a customer increased as time went by, eliminating it means eliminating the loyalty program. Shaw Friends is not a loyalty program, as the benefits are available on day 1 and do not increase as a customer maintains service (it is a bundle benefit rather than a loyalty program). Will Shaw Friends be beefed up to reward long-term customers?

The only thing that really bothers me about this is that I had to ask in order to find out that a billing/account feature (grandfathering) was being eliminated. If my bill had said 'Your rates are going up because we are eliminating the practice of "grandfathering"' I might be upset to see that my bill was going up, but at least I would feel like an informed customer.

Outcomes