AnsweredAssumed Answered

Connection Drops Out At Random Times

Question asked by peterm on Aug 23, 2013
Latest reply on Aug 24, 2013 by kevinds

I originally posted this on the Broadband Reports forums but it was suggested I try posting here to get a better response.

We have a business Shaw internet connection in Salmon Arm and we've had some problems over the last few weeks.

At random intervals our internet connection stops working on our 3 work computers (and our debit machine), the lights on the modem don't indicate any problems (it's a Motorola SB5102). The connection comes back about 5-10 minutes later every time this happens. This has happened about 4-5 times over a 2 week period.

I set up a ping tester for our connection (an external server pings our router every 10 minutes and logs the result). The ping tester is pinging the WAN port of the router, so if it is unable to ping our connection that would indicate an external problem and nothing within our LAN screwing up the network. The ping tester logs show that every outage since setting it up has resulted in the ping tester not being able to ping our router.

We now decided to contact Shaw Business support. They ran a bunch of diagnostics on the modem and couldn't find any problems with it, or any record of it dropping connection at the times I have recorded. They suggested it was a problem with our router (a D-Link DIR-601). The next day we bought a new router (Linksys EA2700), and connection dropped out again with 24 hours of putting the new router in. Same symptoms as before, the internet was completely down on all of our computers for about 10 minutes and then it just started working again. The lights on the modem didn't indicate any problem. So the router wasn't the problem after all, unless 2 completely different routers have the same problem.

I called Shaw support again and told them the problem was still occurring. They wanted me to disconnect the router and directly connect a computer to the modem to test it, but our store was a bit busy when the connection went down, I couldn't really be messing with the network since the point of sale systems need it. Also, we use a static IP address with Shaw so by the time I had everything configured, the problem would likely have fixed itself (since it doesn't drop out for more than 10 minutes at a time).

They sent out a tech to replace the modem, the tech also said they didn't have any record of our connection dropping but he swapped the modem any ways. The connection was perfectly fine for 9 days, and then it went down again last Sunday just after 6pm. Again, for about 10 minutes. The ping testing program I set up also confirms this.

The connection also went out again last night around midnight for about 10 minutes, we weren't at the store at the time (obviously) but the ping testing program confirms this.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this fixed? We do need a reliable internet connection for our business. If the internet connection goes down, our debit machine has to use the phone line for payments (after trying the internet connection twice), this really slows down sails. We also use the internet to do database lookups for customer product requests, so if the internet goes down we can't do this at all. It's annoying enough now, but when it gets busier at Christmas time this could becoming a massive massive problem for us.

The connection never goes down at the same time either. Once it was early in the morning about 9am, another time about 4pm, and another time at 5:30pm

Up until this point, our internet with Shaw has been rock solid. (we've been with Shaw since they took over from our local cable company in late 2011).

Any help is appreciated.

-Peter

Outcomes