Welcome to the Shaw Support Community. Join now to follow, share and participate in the conversation with Shaw experts and users like you.

This discussion is locked
1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2013 11:18 PM by eaglestar RSS

Cisco DPC3825

sellysell Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

The Cisco DPC3825 router I got from Shaw constantly drops.

Its getting freaking annoying.

Is there a fix for it???

I already had a tech change the location of the router.

The signal strength is great, but keeps dropping.

I cannot play games or watch Netflix.

• 1. Re: Cisco DPC3825
    [shaw]matt Moderator (Shaw Employee)

Sorry you're having some trouble with your modem sellysell.

Is this a wireless problem only or are you seeing poor connectivity on wired machines as well?  If it's just wireless, have you tried changing the channel on the device?  We have steps for that here.

Let me know if this helps.

Matt

• 2. Re: Cisco DPC3825
    sellysell Newbie

Thank you for the reply. I checked my router settings, it is set to the settings that is provided on the link.

• 3. Re: Cisco DPC3825
    [shaw]matt Moderator (Shaw Employee)

It might take some experimentation to see which channel works best for you.  I'd recommend you try 1, 6 or 11 and see if one of these gives you improved signal.  If this isn't helping though, then we can take a look on our end.

Matt

• 4. Re: Cisco DPC3825
    sellysell Newbie

I will try these settings and see if it helps.  Thank you.

• 5. Re: Cisco DPC3825
    sellysell Newbie

I have tired the 3 setting that you had provided. The dropping is still present, so i changed it back to auto.

• 6. Re: Cisco DPC3825
    [shaw]colin Moderator (Shaw Employee)

sellysell

Can you confirm if this problem is affecting wired connections to the modem, or just wireless?

• 7. Re: Cisco DPC3825
    sellysell Newbie

I just moved the location of the router closer to my xbox to use Netflix. I have hard wired it and see if the signal still drops.

• 8. Re: Cisco DPC3825
    sellysell Newbie

I have tested the wired signal it is good, but do get really bad pings on Netflix and Xbox once a day. The wireless still drops me off the signal.

• 9. Re: Cisco DPC3825
    [shaw]ali Moderator (Shaw Employee)

Hi sellysell

I'd like to take a further look at your connection if possible, please check your Inbox ^ above for a direct message from me.

Thank you

Ali

Community Moderator

• 10. Re: Cisco DPC3825
    esperologist Newbie

I am house sitting right now, and the the router/modem thingy is the Cisco DPC3825.

It is dropping constantly. The wired machines lose internet (and network) less often then wireless... but they all drop. It is also unified dropping. If one goes down, they all go down... so it seems like connecting to it wirelessly just causes it to happen faster.

I seem okay if only one machine is currently on and is only wired to the thing. However, if I turn on the other wired on computer (to update windows) then internet starts dropping again.

If I switch my machine to wireless (laptop), then even with just it connected, it starts dropping.

I have also noticed it occur more while on heavier sites, such as YouTube.

• 11. Re: Cisco DPC3825
    kevinds Maven

Do the lights change on your DPC3825 when this happens?

• 12. Re: Cisco DPC3825
    eaglestar Newbie

Same problem here. Wireless only worst is that I can't go back to my old one because this one has the actual cable input. I tried plugging my old router to this one and the connection just massively dropped from 72Mbps to around half that for both wireless signals.

I am having mad problems on my desktop, laptop and cell phone. This router is junk.

I just checked the connection now and my $100 per month broadband is giving me 1Mbps connection to my cell phone. Thank you Shaw.

• 13. Re: Cisco DPC3825
    [shaw]colin Moderator (Shaw Employee)

eaglestar

It is possible to use your own router instead, we just need to set your Cisco modem to work in bridge mode first. Let me know if you'd like to do that.

• 14. Re: Cisco DPC3825
    eaglestar Newbie

That sounds like it'll work for me. Post the instructions, I can do it myself.

Really the selection of router by Shaw is just horrible, looking at cost only. Worse it won't even take dd-wrt.

Yeah, I'd like to try that. However I'd like to try and revert at will in case it doesn't work, I don't want to hold on the phone in case it doesn't work properly.

Otherwise I was thinking of buying the Motorola SB6121, I've seen it for cheap used.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points