AnsweredAssumed Answered

High Ping Spikes and Disconnects

Question asked by kolbias on Aug 28, 2013
Latest reply on Aug 28, 2013 by shaw-matt

Hello All,

Alright, I posted in here a few months ago but there has still not been any progression into resolving our problem. We are still experiencing High ping spikes usually around ~1000 but sometimes upwards of ~2000ms and disconnects throughout the day sometimes 10 or 15 five minute disconnects every day. We've had techs out to our house probably around 10 times now and yet the problem still remains. I contacted a Shaw moderator on here but they have stopped responding to my messages.

Info & what the techs and I have tried:

• The Modem is a Cisco DPC2835 and my computer is currently connected thru an Airlink 101, 24 port fast Ethernet switch. 
  • Updated network drivers... Not sure why this happens on multiple computers with different OS's but I tried it anyway.
  • The cables are not the problem  All connections between the street and the modem have been changed twice now.
  • Ethernet connectors/cables have been changed on our end multiple times.
  • The Modem has been changed  3 times and the modem power supply has been changed 4 times.
  • Similar ping results are received even when connected to the modem directly
  • I was told that the Node for our street had been split at the beginning of the month

Here is a Tracert of the bad ping:

>tracert google.ca

Tracing route to google.ca [24.244.4.46]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1

2     8 ms     7 ms     8 ms  11.5.0.1

3    20 ms     7 ms     7 ms  64.59.169.51

4   143 ms   203 ms  1027 ms  rd1ht-tge2-1.ok.shawcable.net [66.163.72.161]

5    27 ms    18 ms    16 ms  66.163.76.82

6    17 ms    17 ms    15 ms  24.244.4.46

And here is a screencap of an average ping test at my place:

Awful Ping.png

I am growing increasingly frustrated, this has gone on for 5 months now and it needs to be resolved. This hasn't always been like this, the connection used to be very stable. It's nearly impossible to play some games on this connection with ping like this. It is also interrupting me when I try to watch Netflix or Youtube when it disconnects.

If someone can please help it would be very, VERY much appreciated.

K

Outcomes