AnsweredAssumed Answered

Random connectivity problem --please help

Question asked by t13nif on Oct 13, 2013
Latest reply on Mar 31, 2014 by t13nif

I am at my wits' end. I was experiencing intermittent wifi dropping so had a tech come out on Saturday. He swapped out the modem, and i promptly lost all wifi access. He stated "i have to go now, i am past my curfew and shaw doesn't pay overtime, sorry this didn't work out for you" and left. I was unable to get any wifi at all. The password to the modem (SMCD3GN) wouldn't work so i couldn't attempt to change the channel or anything. Back on the phone with shaw. They reset the modem, we did a hard reset etc etc. Anyway, i was finally able to access the modem settings and was able to get everything up and running....for about an hour. Then all of a sudden, my laptop wouldn't load any pages. I would be connected to wifi, showing internet access, my iPhone would be connected and online no problem, but not my laptop. I checked the network settings and noticed that the "obtain DNS server address automatically" was unchecked. I changed it back to automatic, but it randomly changes back without me doing anything.

My current problem is this: everything will work fine for about an hour. Then, all of a sudden my laptop won't load any webpages. My internet will show as connected with access. Shaw says everything is fine on their end. Then randomly i will lose internet access. I am having to hard reset the modem, remove all my network connections and start from scratch just to get online.

I have not downloaded any new programs this weekend. I have AVG and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which are current and have not shown any problem. I have been using OpenDNS for my wireless connection as that seems to be the most stable, but this interferes with my UnoTelly settings on my modem for my Roku. Due to the physical setup of my apartment, i am unable to keep my laptop connected via ethernet. Does anyone have any suggestions?? I'm going to cry.

Outcomes