AnsweredAssumed Answered

Lost connection + proper network setup (Cisco DPC3825 and DIR-645)

Question asked by okenko2013 on Oct 19, 2013
Latest reply on Oct 19, 2013 by kevinds

Hello,

Problem:

After recently changing my network setup my connections to the DPC3825 have been dropping. I cannot figure out why since this setup has been working for last few days until now.

Current Network setup:

I am currently trying to set-up new network that uses the Cisco DPC3825 and the DIR-645. I am using the DIR-645 as an Access point since it has better range then the one built into modem.

DPC3825

- the DIR 645,  PC and PS3 are connected to the LAN ports on the device

- the device handles all the firewall, routing, DCHP etc...

- given a reserved ip address for the DIR-645 and PS3

- wireless func. has been turned off

DIR 645

- turned into a Access Point

- the LAN cable connecting to the modem connects to a LAN port on this device (not using the internet port on this device)

I have narrowed the problem down to the DIR645. When i turn off the wireless the connections have been stable. Even then I am not 100% sure since this setup has been working for week. In addition the other odd thing i noticed was that the wireless side had a single MAC address with two IP addresses assigned to it. One is static (doesn't fall in range of IP assigned by router) the other is assigned by router.

Questions:

1. How can I determine if this is on my side or Shaws side. For what I have seen it is probably on my side?

2. Is there an issue with the way I am setting up my network?

Another type of setup I was thinking of was turning the DPC3825 into modem only (bridge mode). Then use a switch for the LAN connections and the DIR645 for wireless connections.

Outcomes