Jump to solution

Solution or Advice?

ned
Grasshopper

Ok, hopefully this makes sense, I have the Shaw 600 plan right now and had the Arris Modem in bridge mode as I already had a network setup when it was originally added. So today my Internal Router (Cisco RV220w router failed). I proceeded to a remove the Cisco and phoned Shaw to turn off bridge mode and utilize the router abilities within the Shaw Router/modem. 
so that the history a couple quick queries...

do I need to order another aftermarket router for security reasons? Is there a security risk using the Shaw system?

is it worth upgrading to the fiber plan? From what I have read here, seems to be more issues with the router that comes with the fiber plan? Is it really worth it?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

> don’t know as I need the fiber As you know, Telus is p...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>  don’t know as I need the fiber

I think that Shaw's recent usage of the word "fiber" originated in their Marketing Department, to appear to be "head-to-head" with TELUS.  I doubt that Shaw is adding fibre-optic cables in parallel to the coaxial cables on the telephone-poles on your street. That would be a huge cost, with no increase in performance for their home-based customers, unless you want to pay "big bucks" for "multiple Gigabit", and you upgrade your home computers to have network adapters that work at 10 Gigabit/second.

Shaw's "backbone" is fiber-optic cable, and they use coaxial-cable for the "last-mile" (from the telephone-pole to your home).

As you know, Telus is pulling fibre-optic cable directly into homes. The download and upload speeds on Telus are identical -- very good for gaming, where the speed of "sending" from your computer is a critical factor in satisfaction when gaming.

So, there is no real difference between the infrastructure of Telus & Shaw.  Neither company's fiber-network is "buggy".

> I was hoping for the best connection possible for gaming

Note that "upload" speeds with Shaw are much less than their "download" speeds. Given a "300" or "600" contract, the upload speed will be fine for gaming.

Note that "lag" on game-play can be "anywhere" on the Internet between your computer and the remote game-server -- this implies that the speed of the "last mile" is not a major contributor to "lag".

If you are paying "month-to-month" to Shaw, think about signing-up as a "new" customer of Telus, to get promotional pricing for up to a year or two.  If you have a Value Plan two-year contract with Shaw, there are penalties for cancellation of that contract.

Finally, note that having "600" speed is not a benefit if the game-server is not "sending" at the same speed. Given that a game-server is serving many gamers at the same time, how much of their speed (1% ? 10% ?) of their capacity will be accessible to you?

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Jump to solution

> do I need to order another aftermarket router for secur...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> do I need to order another aftermarket router for security reasons? Is there a security risk using the Shaw system?

Routers do "NAT" (Network Address Translation). Any traffic originating on any of the computers on your LAN have their "private" IP-address "translated" to the "public" IP-address assigned to the "WAN" side of the router. That's easy to do. Compare this to anyone inside your home using one of the landline-connected hand-sets to originate a call -- the Caller-ID that the recipient sees is that of your single telephone-number, not which handset placed the call.

However, the other half of NAT is to keep track of which of your LAN computers sent something, and then to allow the response to be routed only to the computer on your LAN that is expecting the response.  Note that this NAT process acts as a "firewall" -- it will "drop" all incoming traffic that it cannot map back to one computer on your LAN.  Very secure!  Compare to somebody telephoning your number, and asking to speak to a person who does not live in your house -- you just terminate the call.

While your Shaw router was "bridged", its "firewall" functionality was disabled -- all unsolicited incoming traffic went through to your own router, but your own router also is doing NAT -- and your router will be the device that "drops" such traffic.

If you just had one Windows/Mac computer directly connected to the "bridged" Shaw router, the Windows (or Mac) Firewall would be blocking all that unsolicited traffic. Of course, if a computer-virus disables the firewall software, your compromised computer becomes even more vulnerable.

So, the firewalling done by one of your devices (Shaw router, your router, your computer) gives you protection from incoming unsolicited traffic.

> is it worth upgrading to the fiber plan?

It depends. How often do you connect to servers on the Internet that can deliver a steady stream of 600 Mbps traffic to your computer? Compare to watching 3 AM traffic on a highway -- each car/truck is travelling at the posted speed limit, as it would in the daytime, but the gaps between vehicles are much larger than in the daytime.

How often do you have 6 computers on your LAN, each interacting with different servers, each sending at 100 Mbps? In that case, the 6 streams, each at 100 Mbps, will "fill" your router's connection from the Internet, namely 600 Mbps, in the aggregate. A six-lane highway can carry 6 vehicles, each travelling at 100 Km/hr.  But, at 3 AM, not all those 6 lanes will be full.

Jump to solution

You should be fine with the BlueCurve, the only major com...

rstra
Grand Master

You should be fine with the BlueCurve, the only major complaint I have is that the dns can’t be changed in this router, so my VPN doesn’t work.

I haven’t upgrade to the fiber speeds yet, I will give it some time to iron out any issues first. 

Jump to solution

Thank you, a spectacular well written reply, thanks. I do...

ned
Grasshopper

Thank you, a spectacular well written reply, thanks. I don’t know as I ned the fiber I was hoping for the best connection possible for gaming, most of my daily items seem well served with the 600

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thanks, I was wondering if the fiber was bug ridden or no...

ned
Grasshopper

Thanks, I was wondering if the fiber was bug ridden or not, from what I am seeeing a few issues. My street is getting fitted with tells fiber next week, I want to stay with Shaw, but I also want the best I can get for gaming. Hence the Shaw fiber 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I switched back from Apple wifi routers after Apple got o...

rickatk
Master

@ned wrote:

Ok, hopefully this makes sense, I have the Shaw 600 plan right now and had the Arris Modem in bridge mode as I already had a network setup when it was originally added. So today my Internal Router (Cisco RV220w router failed). I proceeded to a remove the Cisco and phoned Shaw to turn off bridge mode and utilize the router abilities within the Shaw Router/modem. 
so that the history a couple quick queries...

do I need to order another aftermarket router for security reasons? Is there a security risk using the Shaw system?

is it worth upgrading to the fiber plan? From what I have read here, seems to be more issues with the router that comes with the fiber plan? Is it really worth it?

I switched back from Apple wifi routers after Apple got out of the router business. I found the Blue Curve Gateway to work just fine as a modem and router combo. Same performance as the AirPort Extreme. Less clutter. The 600 plan worked very well. The Gig plan is having some problems, probably some bugs to work out yet.

I have no hesitation recommending the Shaw BlueCurve Gateway as a total solution.

Jump to solution

> don’t know as I need the fiber As you know, Telus is p...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>  don’t know as I need the fiber

I think that Shaw's recent usage of the word "fiber" originated in their Marketing Department, to appear to be "head-to-head" with TELUS.  I doubt that Shaw is adding fibre-optic cables in parallel to the coaxial cables on the telephone-poles on your street. That would be a huge cost, with no increase in performance for their home-based customers, unless you want to pay "big bucks" for "multiple Gigabit", and you upgrade your home computers to have network adapters that work at 10 Gigabit/second.

Shaw's "backbone" is fiber-optic cable, and they use coaxial-cable for the "last-mile" (from the telephone-pole to your home).

As you know, Telus is pulling fibre-optic cable directly into homes. The download and upload speeds on Telus are identical -- very good for gaming, where the speed of "sending" from your computer is a critical factor in satisfaction when gaming.

So, there is no real difference between the infrastructure of Telus & Shaw.  Neither company's fiber-network is "buggy".

> I was hoping for the best connection possible for gaming

Note that "upload" speeds with Shaw are much less than their "download" speeds. Given a "300" or "600" contract, the upload speed will be fine for gaming.

Note that "lag" on game-play can be "anywhere" on the Internet between your computer and the remote game-server -- this implies that the speed of the "last mile" is not a major contributor to "lag".

If you are paying "month-to-month" to Shaw, think about signing-up as a "new" customer of Telus, to get promotional pricing for up to a year or two.  If you have a Value Plan two-year contract with Shaw, there are penalties for cancellation of that contract.

Finally, note that having "600" speed is not a benefit if the game-server is not "sending" at the same speed. Given that a game-server is serving many gamers at the same time, how much of their speed (1% ? 10% ?) of their capacity will be accessible to you?

Jump to solution

I use the apple units for wifi as I have a large house an...

ned
Grasshopper

I use the apple units for wifi as I have a large house and need the coverage with all three working together, I do not use the router on them. I used to have a Cisco RV220w small buisness router, but, now am using the Shaw unit.  The WiFi is also interesting as I needed the 3 nodes to cover all floors of my house.... not sure if a repeater or some kind can be added to the Shaw setup

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

wrote: not sure if a repeater ... can be added to the Sha...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ned  wrote: not sure if a repeater ... can be added to the Shaw setup.

See: About: BlueCurve Pods

for 8 articles about Shaw's WiFi extenders.

Jump to solution

hello im  ljust figuring out that shaw has  con me into t...

rtotem1
Grasshopper

hello im  ljust figuring out that shaw has  con me into theirs so called fiber? How can  shaw be fiber if u say they they use the last mile of coxial-cable to the House? I am sorry to say i signed up  for Shaw fibre last  nover  from  600 mbps , to shaw said  their new 750 mbps  Fiber  Optic? I then Question  shaw about the cable because i know it is coxial and they said they just  flick a switch at the head quarter and i  have fiber? I asked about modem,  they said the  modem is made  for  fiber optic. so i signed 2yr lease with them. I have done lots of reseach and shaw is  lieing to me about  fibre.I figure now if shaw want to lie to me  im not going to abide  by the 2years rule because  i figure now im not getting what i paid  for... Fiber Optic? 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help