Shaw Internet 300 (150): disappointing

Not applicable

I expected to notice a substantial increase in my overall browsing experience jumping from 150>300 Mbps, but that's not the case. Although speedtest results show our speeds exceeding 300 Mbps, my upload speeds are still pathetic at 15-16 Mbps.

For comparison purposes, I took the same laptop, hardwired (RJ45) it to my friend's Telus router who's on Telus Fibre with 150/150 Mbps.

To my surprise, there's clearly a noticable difference in speeds with my browsing experience like surfing webpages compared to my Shaw 300/15. It's almost like night and day. 

If Shaw thinks the meager 15 Mbps upload is more than enough, my comment to them is: bye, I am switching to Telus!  

Labels (2)
28 Replies

Re: Shaw Internet 300 (150): disappointing

Not applicable

If Telus PureFiber (PureFibre are the only Telus residential plans that have symmetrical speeds) is available to you, my advice would be to switch to it..  I would without hesitation.

I believe Shaw's TV services are better than Telus, but internet on their PureFibre is really nice, except the port-blocking but they have opened 443 in the last year, which helps some.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Something has happened recently, although my Shaw speedtest shows huge download speeds approaching 300  my upuploads shows 3......  Its not working like it should.   Is this a result of the new high speed downloads?  because its worse.  Searches often show internet not available, then poof the page appears.  Times when its as though there is

no internet connection, and after a little wait it appears again.   Shaw, something is wrong in Nelson, seems to coincide with your big speed increase announcement.

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

Hey maxdase,

Thank you for reaching out! I haven't' heard of any reports of upload issues in your area. If you are noticing fast download speeds and slower upload speeds, it may be a signal related issue. I'd recommend trying some steps here to see if it helps improve your signal/speeds. If you continue to notice slow upload speeds, your best bet is to touch base with our technical support members to investigate further.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

Not applicable

Yes, I totally agree. Shaw is also coming with a new TV box as well in a few months I hear too. I suppose if port blocking is an issue, you can use a VPN to bypass. But it's wrong for Telus to block ports, imo. 

0 Kudos

kombi
Grasshopper

It's the low/slow upload bandwidth 
15 Mbs upload when your competitor offers 
up to 300 Mbps download and 300 Mbps upload speeds $100
up to 750 Mbps download and 750 Mbps upload speeds  $130

Rediculous  15 and 20 is not sufficient 
I think you will find more and more people switching if you don't keep pace

0 Kudos

winterpeg
Grasshopper

Yes, here in Winnipeg, where we have access to Bell Fibe Internet and TV it is getting to be an issue. I just got a "cold" call from the Shaw marketing people and they were offering me 300 speed for $38 for first 12 months, then $53 for the next 12 months and then the reg rate is $95. I am paying $113 for the 300 service right now. When I told him that, his response was to contact Customer Loyalty. I am getting tired of this, but as some one has said, Shaw's TV is better.

I guess I will have to look at the bundles from Bell and see what is cooking. With Bell Fibe, 100 speed is more than enough. Have a great day everyone.

For some reason..your comment is no surprise here. Anyone...

Tiggilan
Grasshopper

For some reason..your comment is no surprise here. Anyone working somewhere will never say..oh yeah we are actually having a problem. It's more like..we have no problems.. its your area. We are doing well and bla bla bla. 

Ive had shaw 300 for a couple of years! last 6 months sha...

Dvt
Grasshopper

Ive had shaw 300 for a couple of years! last 6 months shaws struggled to get me better than 45/15 down/ upload speeds. had several senior techs come to “ fix” the issue but no fixes every lasted. after 20+ years as a shaw customer and no call backs from tech support team in may as represented i finally cancelled service & went to telus fibre optic. cheaper & much much faster up/ downloads........better customer service too.

sad really after 20 years as a client.... 

not as ironic as mine speed. i lived in a townhouse and...

WendyRmd
Grasshopper

not as ironic as mine speed.  i lived in a townhouse and subscribed to internet 300.  with the TV and phone bundles I paid $193 per month.  I average get 15Mbps download speed.  5mins just checked b4 I post this 8.0Mps.  I feel like I have subscribed to a traditional telephone line. I have been using shaw even b4 year 2016 and no contract since two years ago.  Telus came last month installed the FiberOptics box in my garage as an option. Oh....I almost forgot to mentioned, I have extender too that hope i helped.  So.........

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help